Best non-Google alternative apps

TurboCommander

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Say a crazy person wanted to use Android without Google. What are the top non-Google alternatives for the essential apps?

I'm not wanting to debate the merits of such a decision but if you were not going to sign in to a Google account from any app or service but still wanted to use maps, voice commands, play music, etc, what would the essential apps be? Besides iOS LOL!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Maps - Mapquest. Voice commands - Samsung's S-Voice. Music - any of 50 music players.

Of course the problem is backups, especially contacts. If you put a Google account in the phone, your contacts, if they're entered as Google contacts (which they should be by default and aren't - come on, Google, you made a good thing, make it the default), they're automatically synced to Google Contacts so if the phone gets run over, you don't lose them. Almost everything else can be synced to the cloud by other means.

TurboCommander

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
In my case, I sync contacts to a corporate Exchange account and use Outlook email app, the built in Calendar and People apps for cal and contacts so I have no worries about that.

I also have access to Dropbox or MS One Drive should I need them.

I do have actually maybe three Google accounts tied to my phone for various reasons, one for work, a personal one and another for my G Voice number so I have no anti-Google position.

I was just very curious because I recently came here from iOS and am happy. Just wondering if there are great apps I'm missing. In other words, I don't want to use G apps just because they're there.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Google apps are good for the mainstream average user but there are alot of specialized apps that are better for power users. Google maps works for me and is free but I don't have a long commute or travel alot. Google Drive is ok but I use One Drive, Box and Copy as well. Google Keep is good for a quick note but I have S Note and Evernote for extensive notes. I can go on and on but not enough room here. You get the idea.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty