Battery saver app to disable mobile data not working with Lollipop

MetalMike901

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
On KitKat I have been using GreenPower (free) as a battery saver with great success. I really only needed it to automatically turn off mobile data after I leave a wifi connection at home or anywhere else. It automatically re-enables mobile data only after unlocking the device and then shuts it off again after the phone is off. This app is not working with Lollipop, and the developer is stating that the mobile data toggle is not working with lollipop. I'm not sure if that is because Lollipop no longer supports this kind of automatic toggling of data, or if the dev just hasn't updated their app for 5.0.

Is there another app out there that works with lollipop that would shut down mobile data until the screen is unlocked? Without this capability, battery drain will be much worse for me on 5.0 than kitkat.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Tasker does quite a lot. Let's you customize pretty much anything. I found it kind of hard to learn at first but found how-to videos on YouTube helpful.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
On KitKat I have been using GreenPower (free) as a battery saver with great success. I really only needed it to automatically turn off mobile data after I leave a wifi connection at home or anywhere else. It automatically re-enables mobile data only after unlocking the device and then shuts it off again after the phone is off. This app is not working with Lollipop, and the developer is stating that the mobile data toggle is not working with lollipop. I'm not sure if that is because Lollipop no longer supports this kind of automatic toggling of data, or if the dev just hasn't updated their app for 5.0.

Is there another app out there that works with lollipop that would shut down mobile data until the screen is unlocked? Without this capability, battery drain will be much worse for me on 5.0 than kitkat.

The only way for app to toggle data now requires root access on your phone. Google has locked up that capability with Lollipop.

MetalMike901

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been doing more investigating into the issue with mobile data toggling and I found the same thing. Google has removed all capability to toggle mobile data from outside apps, which is nonsense, and completely screws up the ability to automate the mobile data toggle to save battery. They did the same thing with Airplane mode a couple years ago I believe. Well anyway, I hate that they made this change as it's made things harder now, not easier.

So far, I really like Lollipop on my phones but it seems they are closing off the OS more and more with each update....and that reminds me of a certain fruit company that I stay away from. I really hate to see Google turn more into Apple, where users have far less control over anything. Oh well I guess...