Can I rearrange Home Screens with the stock Lollipop launcher?!

Marco772

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

My Nexus 7 (first Gen) has been very laggy so I factory reset it the other day and now it's much improved. With the intention of keeping it as "light" as possible I am hoping to just use the Lollipop stock launcher (rather than Nova which I had before).

I like everything about this except, for the life of me and a Googling frenzy, I cannot find a way to rearrange the Home Screens! I just want to swap 2 over which would take seconds using an alternative launcher but seems impossible in stock Lollipop! Surely this isn't the case?

That's my main question.

If it IS the case, does adding an alternative Launcher make much of a system footprint? And, in terms of keeping it light, which would be better Nova or the Google Now launcher?

Many thanks,

Mark

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My Nexus 7 (first Gen) has been very laggy so I factory reset it the other day and now it's much improved. With the intention of keeping it as "light" as possible I am hoping to just use the Lollipop stock launcher (rather than Nova which I had before).

I like everything about this except, for the life of me and a Googling frenzy, I cannot find a way to rearrange the Home Screens! I just want to swap 2 over which would take seconds using an alternative launcher but seems impossible in stock Lollipop! Surely this isn't the case?

That's my main question.

If it IS the case, does adding an alternative Launcher make much of a system footprint? And, in terms of keeping it light, which would be better Nova or the Google Now launcher?

Many thanks,

Mark

Just go to a Home Screen and tap and hold, then navigate to the home screen you want to move then again tap and hold and move to where you want it and release.

Posted via Android Central App

Marco772

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks but that doesn't seem to work in the default Launcher. Pressing and holding and empty section of the screen just brings up a Wallpaper menu from the bottom of the screen.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It brings up a screen with three options at the bottom: wallpaper, widgets, settings. Above those three are representations of your screen. Touch and hold on a screen and when it responds, drag it over the other screen. I just tried this and it worked for me.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I am using the default launcher and that is the way it works for me. Press and hold an empty section on the screen bring up a screen that show one small home screen and half of a second screen. You can scroll these left or right to display the one you want to move. Then you tap and hold the one you want to move move it to where you want it and release. During this time the screen shows three icons at the bottom of the screen, Wallpaper,Widgets and settings.

Marco772

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, this is odd then! So I have a 1st Gen Nexus 7 which, just this morning, has updated to Lollipop 5.0.2 but I'm still having the same problem. When I long press on an empty part of the screen, all I get is the Wallpaper options! I have enclosed a screenshot to show you.
I understand what you're all saying as it's this... (it won't let me post the link, but it's as you've described)

but mine doesn't do this and I don't understand why. Any ideas?Screenshot_2015-01-08-12-28-27.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-08-12-27-20.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-08-12-27-20.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 37

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what to tell you at this point. Maybe it has something to do with you are on 5.0.2 and I am on 5.0.1. Or maybe because you are on a tablet and I am on a phone. Seems like it would be the OS, 5.0.1 did not do well on the Tablet7 so they made changes and called it 5.0.2. 5.0.2 has not been released to the N5 so I would think there is some slight difference there.Keep me posted if you find a resolution to this.

Marco772

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Will do! It did exactly the same on 5.0.1. for the record. Most odd. I'm pretty good with Android normally, but this has me perplexed! Using the Google Now Launcher now, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of it!

ryanhoustonuk

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

That's my main question.

Many thanks,

Mark

I have same problem with moto g 1st gen! Such a basic feature it seems to be lacking! Back to Nova with a lollipop theme what a shame!

Skyler Finlayson

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I can choose different home screens and move them around but I have 2 is all. I am used to running 4 but even 3 would be better. So does anyone know how to add screens?:confused:

trax49

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Creating a new page on the Lollipop home screen

To start with I'm running lollipop 5.0 on a Samsung Galaxy S5.

I have googled my fingers off searching for a way to create another page on the lock screen.
If someone says just drag an icon to the side, I'll scream my head off.
I have tried going to the app drawer and long pressing an app, and that dose not work either.

Next, by dragging one icon over another will create a folder. That dose not work in my case.
The only way I can add a new app icon is to delete one from one of my three pages ( apparently I'm only allowed three) and select another one from the drawer.

HELP please.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Creating a new page on the Lollipop home screen

There are two "default" Google launchers - only the Google Now launcher permits rearranging of home screens. You can tell you are using Google Now by tapping the Home screen button at the bottom center twice and then swiping right; if you are running Google Now, you will come to the Google Now screen, the content of which varies considerably, but looks nothing like your other home screens.

If you are not currently running the Google Now launcher, open Settings and see if you have a menu choice labeled "Home" - if so, tap it and see what launchers are installed. If you don't have a Home entry, download Google Now from https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.google.android.launcher&token=5HqVAuoB

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay