Lollipop is terrible on my Note 3

iamadoorknob

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I just" updated" to Lollipop (my carrier forces the upgrades on me; it will ask me every 12 hours for a week and then just DL it without my consent).

First off, it's eating through my battery about 50% faster. I also hate how the Samsung default keyboard is white now and lights up the whole room when I'm in the dark, and it gives me no option to change it other than switching to Google keyboard. My music lock screen controls are tiny now and dangerous to use while driving (and putting the X button right next to the skip track button is sadistic).

Honestly I switched away from iPhone because of these kinds of forced obsolescence shenanigans and I can't find a single thing better about Lollipop over Kitkat. I wish I could go back to Kitkat. Someone please tell me there is a way (without rooting my phone).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I just" updated" to Lollipop (my carrier forces the upgrades on me; it will ask me every 12 hours for a week and then just DL it without my consent).
That's how it works - if you don't root the phone, you can only refuse so many times, then it just installs.

First off, it's eating through my battery about 50% faster.
Amoled displays use more current to display lighter colors. With all that white, that's to be expected.

I also hate how the Samsung default keyboard is white now and lights up the whole room when I'm in the dark, and it gives me no option to change it other than switching to Google keyboard.
Check on XDA. Someone may have modified it to black.

My music lock screen controls are tiny now and dangerous to use while driving (and putting the X button right next to the skip track button is sadistic).
LolliFlop is sadistic. It's also buggy. It's also a point update (if you can call it an update) to KitKat - there's nothing so new that it warrants a whole version number jump. 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 was a bigger change (it closed a major security hole).

Honestly I switched away from iPhone because of these kinds of forced obsolescence shenanigans and I can't find a single thing better about Lollipop over Kitkat. I wish I could go back to Kitkat. Someone please tell me there is a way (without rooting my phone).
I think it depends on the carrier - some can't be downgraded past a major version number, some can. If yours can, just flash 4.4.4 ([Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN). Find out first, though. If you try it on a phone it doesn't work on, you'll end up buying another phone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That's how it works - if you don't root the phone, you can only refuse so many times, then it just installs.

Amoled displays use more current to display lighter colors. With all that white, that's to be expected.

Check on XDA. Someone may have modified it to black.

LolliFlop is sadistic. It's also buggy. It's also a point update (if you can call it an update) to KitKat - there's nothing so new that it warrants a whole version number jump. 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 was a bigger change (it closed a major security hole).

I think it depends on the carrier - some can't be downgraded past a major version number, some can. If yours can, just flash 4.4.4 ([Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN). Find out first, though. If you try it on a phone it doesn't work on, you'll end up buying another phone.

After reading up in these threads on Lilliflop as you call it, I'm thinking of holding off on getting a new device until some of these issues are addressed. In your opinion, is that a good idea?

EDIT: I don't really need a new device currently, just wanted a new Android phone, because I'm currently using iOS, and wanted an Android phone as a second phone to use because I like both OSes. Rare to like both, I know.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop has surprisingly been just about perfect on my phones. AT&T Note 3 and Note 4. No notable issues. It's a really nice update for my Note 3 but just icing on the cake for my Note 4.

📐♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒🍫

hongdawg

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T Galaxy Note 3 was updated to 5.0. I then factory resetted the phone after backing up my apps via Kies. My battery has improved significantly. It actually feels like a brand new battery is in there. That's how much it improved for me. Do yourself a favor and factory reset your phone after you've updated to 5.0. Oh and I use a third party keyboard that can change colors. I am a happy user!

iamadoorknob

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Thankful for what? There is nothing improved as far as I can see. And I'm not factory reseting mt phone again. I did last time an update came out and it did NOT save everything. I had to start every game over and I lost all my notes.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thankful for what? There is nothing improved as far as I can see. And I'm not factory reseting mt phone again. I did last time an update came out and it did NOT save everything. I had to start every game over and I lost all my notes.
I'm thankful. My phone works great and now has BETTER access to my SD card.

📐♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒🍫