Poor doze performance?

constable

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
So I set my phone down at 1am when I went to bed. It was at 65% battery. When I woke up 5 hours later, 53%. This seems poor to me. Any tips?

Attachments

• 1448968716026.jpg
    1448968716026.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 1448968750155.jpg
    1448968750155.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 79

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I've found that occasionally apps keep a phone from properly dozing.

The trick is to find it and shame it into compliance.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I can see a couple of things in your battery stats. You had a poor cell signal and usually this will drain your battery faster. Also, some app is keeping your phone awake all the time (your awake bar is solid). You should check which app is causing this. Seeing your list I would start with Facebook Messenger.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
As I noted in response to your post the 6P forum thread about battery performance, I had a similar issue and a reboot brought it back to proper order.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Turn off Bluetooth, reboot and don't use it anymore. Bluetooth is terrible causing drain issues that only a reboot fixes.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So I set my phone down at 1am when I went to bed. It was at 65% battery. When I woke up 5 hours later, 53%. This seems poor to me. Any tips?

Turn off Bluetooth, reboot and don't use it anymore. Bluetooth is terrible causing drain issues that only a reboot fixes.

I've got bluetooth on about 2/3rds of the day and it doesn't cause inordinate drain nor keep the phone awake.

There's most probably an app on the phone that's doing it. I had a similar issue and started uninstalling apps that were installed or updated after I noticed the phone staying awake until I found the culprit (for me, it was the latest update of Fi Spy). Uninstalled it, phone's been dozing perfectly since. Over 5 days since a charge, phone's still at 53% battery, with bluetooth on.

Again, I can say with almost 100% certainty its an app that's keeping the phone awake.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I have Bluetooth on all the time (though not always connected to a device). The headset it's connected to during the work day is one that has a companion app to display remaining talk time for the headset battery (as well as control other features of the headset). I've had NO trouble with Doze on my 6P except for one day that was resolved with a reboot of the device.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
As I noted in response to your post the 6P forum thread about battery performance, I had a similar issue and a reboot brought it back to proper order.

I had that going on this morning where my phone wasn't sleeping for whatever reason. Chrome was #1 on my list so I assumed it was that. I force stopped it and there was still no relief for the constant awake device. A reboot took care of it. Phone has been properly dozing every since.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have GSAM batter monitor installed and still can't find the offending app. Last night my phone was at 91% when I went to sleep. 7 hours later and down to 53%. Before upgrading to Marshmallow I'd lose next to nothing overnight. My question, how do you find the offending app? I have an LG G4. Did a factory restore after upgrading to Marshmallow which helped somewhat.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
What is it reporting as the source of the most power usage?

Using GSAM battery monitor the top source is Mediaserver - at 19%. I don't use Mediaserver and have all of that DLNA rubbish disabled - Settings->Share and connect->Mediaserver

I also use the app OS Monitor (there are other system monitor apps out there - maybe even better than OS Monitor) to see what's going on. It's a nice view of system logs. One battery sucking app stays active even after closing it. So when finished with that app I do a force stop. Most useful for me is the PROCESS tab. I see Navigation popping up although I don't use it and keep location off, for example. CPU usage bounces between 10 to 20% at idle. Not sure if that is out of line.

I'd like to get a report of processes for x amount of time so I can see what's happening when doze should be kicking in. OS Monitor is great but it's only real time. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to get a report of processes for x amount of time so I can see what's happening when doze should be kicking in. OS Monitor is great but it's only real time. Any suggestions?

GSAM battery monitor
Battery Monitor Widget (don't let the name fool you, this is a lot more than just a widget)
Better Battery Stats
Wakelock Detector

I have all 4 installed.... but lean most heavily on GSam. Like most battery monitor apps, they give the most amount of info on rooted phones, but still provide a fair amount of detail.