Screen Overlay Detected, what can I do?

stealthaz

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! This was a frustrating process all day it was an endless loop. Your steps fixed the issue!

Posted via the Android Central App

Alixxxxx

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: screen Overlay Detected

It solved for me in Samsung galaxy Note 4 , maybe you couldn't believe it , but you just deactivate the "side key panel" function through the toolbar menu on the top of your phone.

acs1909

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site

It solved for me in Samsung galaxy Note 4 , maybe you couldn't believe it , but you just deactivate the "side key panel" function through the toolbar menu on the top of your phone.

Thanks a lot friend. That worked instantly in my note 4 edge too. What a relief.

archcal

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Turning off screen overlay every time to change a permission has to be the most annoying and worst feature of Android 6.0. I'm not a moron and I know what permissions I am accepting but every time I have to turn off all screen overlay just to accept 1 simple permission. It is a terrible feature that only irritates me.

LTrane

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I have HTC 10 and can't figure out how to turn this feature Off. My options are "Show System" or "Reset App Preferences".

thecycleoflife

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

For me, it turns out it was the screen brightness control app Lux Lite that was causing me problems. Disabled that app and it appears that everything is good now.

Tswfootball

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

You don't have to reset every app. Try figuring out which app it is that is causing the error.

It should be an app that is on the screen at that moment..

Like Facebook chat bubbles, screen dimmer, or maybe those "tools" that are always on the screen.

Google really needs to come up with a more intuitive way to present this issue though. It's a mess and ruins the experience when everyone walks around with apps with no permissions, and having no idea why

Posted via the Android Central App

AJ Wira

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem, it is such a nigjtmare. I have tried all the solutions, but only one is consistence.
Find the way of restarting in safe mode for your particular model. In safe mode go to the app management and give all the apps appropriat permissions! You will notice in safe mode apps overlay pop up doesn't appear and freely you can assign all the permissions. This is the only viable option I found. Restart and now you are back to the old glory days until another new app ask the same thing!

upendra luke

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
hi guys im also using andriod 6 .0 got this problem ..i found that cm locker app which im using creatted this issue so i turned off it ..that s all i fixed it ..and i noticed that some of similar apps will cause these problems ..give a shot thanks.

Far removed

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! . (The Screen Overlay settings can be found by going to Settings>Apps, tap the gear icon, then Draw Over Other Apps is on a Nexus 6P--if you have a different phone, there might be some differences in the menu location.) By default, it should be Enabled, but each individual app can be turned on or off. Does the error message want you to enable to disable the screen overlay?

No, it is asking me to give permissions to (in my case chrome) and other apps.

And no I do not have a Screen Overlay settings in / under the settings screen. I might add a that I am running Android 6.01 on a samsung galaxy s7edge
Frustrating

Last edited:

Stefan Vaillant

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot, this was the only way to solve it for me. Other suggestions did not worked. Caused my over one hour extra work.

Didaballoons

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site

I've got Android 6.0 and I'm having a problem with Android asking me to give apps permissions (remember the Mac commercial taunting Windows on this ten years ago?). The point is that i can't use my apps thanks to this. For example, I want to watch baseball games on my MLB At Bat app but then it asks me to enable location, which thrn takes me to a pop up window that says "Screen Overlay Detected. To change this permission setting go to..." then I'm stuck in an endless loop where i can't change any of the settings and i can't operate many of my apps.

Help!
Thanks in advance

I found out that it was the DU Booster app that I installed after the software update. I have to uninstall it.

lukitoperkoso

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

I'm also using Note 4 and this solution works for me! Suppose it'll work also for other Note user.

Robert Bragger

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much. My friend and I've been trying to figure this out for the last week, he kept getting the screen overlay issue. We've tried all the settings suggestions & even called t-mobile, they didn't have a clue. Just read your post & he said he just downloaded clean master a couple weeks ago. We uninstalled it and, voila, it's fixed. Thanks so much!

PatrynXX

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
don't know why this is suddenly happening. used CM for years no problem. but withina week bang Nexus 7 practically useless. no problem on the HTC M8. Then again not long after Nexus 7 upgraded to passed 6 it no longer auto orientated the screen :(