Why can't I just grant permissions for apps to write to ALL folders ONCE ?

Jx J

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Why do Android make permissions so difficult ?

I have a Pixel 7 with just internal storage. Every time I try to move files with one of the photo apps, it asks me to grant permission to write to the folder.
Why can't I grant that just once and be done with it ?

If I long press on the apps, it says I have no permissions denied.

Ideally I would have a maximum of one step to grant access to ALL folders to a specified app and NEVER have do do the same thing again. In practice, every time I move a photo to a different folder, I get the same nonsense.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Once you grant that permission, it should remain. How often are you doing this, and which app is it? If it's infrequent, and if this is a 3rd party app, it's possible permissions are being automatically removed after a certain amount of time that the app is not used -- this is a security feature.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Jx J

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
My My Files app has settings as in the above screenshot.
However, I'm not using that, but I'm using a Gallery app.

If I use the Gallery App by cloud innovation studios, to move a photo to another album, when I click on the photo, it firstly asks permission, then it asks again for authorization to move it to the destination folder.
I have to do that at least once for every new folder I move to, rather than being allowed to authorize all folders.
I have granted the maximum level of permissions.

The google gallery app seems a little better, as after I click on a photo, to move it, it only asks for permission to move it. Which is still an unnecessary step.

I've had years of similar nonsense with other apps and internal SD cards on Android devices. I was hoping to be finished with all that now I have a phone with only internal storage.

Microsoft manage without all this extra checking in Windows.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After you've granted the permission once, it doesn't ask again? This kind of thing is for security, and I believe Google was following in Apple's footsteps with this, since iPhones exhibit similar requirements.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000