I'd like to hear some good stories about happy nougat users before I upgrade

Are you happy with your upgrade to nougat?

• Total voters

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I understand this is a forum mostly for problems with nougat, but I'd love to hear some positive feedback from happy users to help me decide if I'm going to upgrade or not when the update becomes available.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm running the beta (7.1.2) on my Nexus 5X have had no real issues. 7.1.1 had a minor bug that caused the WiFi settings to crash but that has been fixed in 7.1.2. No problems using the phone as a daily driver.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did not upgrade and there is always some peril in upgrading on a device not originally intended for the new OS release. That said, my device (LG) is native Nougat. I love it (both the device and Nougat).

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Since the problems are often related to the vendor's version of Nougat you should probably limit your request for input from people with the same brand. If you'd that nervous and your phone is working okay, why upgrade?

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Since the problems are often related to the vendor's version of Nougat you should probably limit your request for input from people with the same brand. If you'd that nervous and your phone is working okay, why upgrade?

Maybe because Nougat have new or improved features or would make the phone run better.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
AT&T Exclusive Samsung Galaxy S7 Active phone - just upgraded to Nougat back on March 7th. Upgrade went very smooth - had absolutely no issues with the upgrade, settings or re-installing backups. Two minor issues with apps not recognizing their original config files the first time but that was quickly resolved. I find Nougat smoother, faster, easier to use (after figuring out the new menu structure) and I actually love it! Best of all, my battery life has improved dramatically (I will say MY because a few other S7 Active owners are having issues and we can't figure out why yet). Here's a screenshot I just took today but with light use on the phone; Screen On Time was 2 Hours, 59 Mins., 34 Secs. NOTE: I must add - I am also running Greenify!

Screenshot_20.jpg

Last edited:

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Ive had no issues since updating to Nougat from Marshmallow on my s7 edge.

No system cache delete or factory reset needed either.

The Ui -Grace is refreshing and easier to navigate around.

Nougat has removed lots of things I didn't use.

I'm also really liking the new updated AOD that shows more notifications and the ability to double tap on them.

Lots more under the hood like an improved Doze feature etc.

Battery life is subjective as well are all set up differently in the phones settings and use different apps and app preferences, launchers and themes etc.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering what the big rush is to get Nougat when it seems so many people are having issues with it.

I guess Lucy, it really depends on which phone you have first, then whether you really like technology changes, because Nougat changes a bunch of things that we've all gotten used to. The entire Marshmallow Settings Menu structure is different now. Once you sit with it for a while and get used to it, it's actually pretty slick... in my opinion of course. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active and it works great with it - it already has a big battery and it made the battery life even better.

The folks with Google Pixels and Nexus phones seem to be having some issues but the Samsungs seem, for the most part, to be doing O.K. with it. So I guess, do some more reading around here, especially for your particular phone, then make a decision based on that, I guess! I love it! Hope I've helped...

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Some people desire the newest firmware with new or enhancement of existing features.

I like ro.have those but the Security Patches are priority for me.

It's a conundrum how some are having hiccups and some are not.

I'm on an Unbranded s7 edge so my Network has not been able to tinker with it before being pushed out to my phone. Maybe sometimes that's the issue. Or the individuals phone is at issue somehow.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Some people desire the newest firmware with new or enhancement of existing features.

I like to have those but the Security Patches are priority for me.

It's a conundrum how some are having hiccups and some are not.

I'm on an Unbranded s7 edge so my Network has not been able to tinker with it before being pushed out to my phone. Maybe sometimes that's the issue. Or the individuals phone is at issue somehow.

You've got that right! I am guilty of reading titles and not reading entire posts so I don't get to see what Carrier, etc the problems are stemming "from" if I can even say that? My S7 Active is obviously AT&T as they're the only one that markets it... but I can't say that they are the reason it took Nougat so well for sure, either!

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I would hazard a guess that carrier branded phones are more likely to have update issues than unlocked phones. My 5X has had zero issues with any of the updates including betas except for minor WiFi settings bug that myself and a few others experienced.

I will never buy a carrier branded phone again. The unlocked experience has been an eye opener for me.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I've enjoyed N since it was a beta update, for sure by the 3rd or 4th beta build. I've never had a real problem with it, and I'm a big fan of N notifications. I'm currently running 7.1.1 on my 2 Nexus 6s--stock on one, a custom rom on the other. Both are fine, and if I ever get a downgrade notification to 7.0, I won't accept it. (But that's specifically a Nexus 6 update issue.)

Bear in mind that it's tough to get a clear idea of why any OS works for some and not for others because we're never getting the full story about any phone or any phone user. People rarely admit that they have nearly zero room left for storage or that their app drawer is full of crap from iffy 3rd party sites or that they've drained their batteries every other week for the past year and a half or that they wouldn't know how to clear any cache if you threatened to force feed 'em chocolate-covered brussel sprouts and on and on and on.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've enjoyed N since it was a beta update, for sure by the 3rd or 4th beta build. I've never had a real problem with it, and I'm a big fan of N notifications. I'm currently running 7.1.1 on my 2 Nexus 6s--stock on one, a custom rom on the other. Both are fine, and if I ever get a downgrade notification to 7.0, I won't accept it. (But that's specifically a Nexus 6 update issue.)

Bear in mind that it's tough to get a clear idea of why any OS works for some and not for others because we're never getting the full story about any phone or any phone user. People rarely admit that they have nearly zero room left for storage or that their app drawer is full of crap from iffy 3rd party sites or that they've drained their batteries every other week for the past year and a half or that they wouldn't know how to clear any cache if you threatened to force feed 'em chocolate-covered brussel sprouts and on and on and on.

BINGO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty