New Android Market and side-loaded apps

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed something interesting about the way the new Android Market handles side-loaded apps (or third party apps) on my phone.

I have the Amazon App store installed and have installed a handful of apps with it. When I open up the Android Market and click on "My Apps," the apps I have downloaded through Amazon do not display. However, if I do a search in the Android Market for those same apps, they show as "installed," and I even have the option to update them when an update is available.

Has anyone else observed this? More importantly, does anyone know what happens if I update an app I acquired via Amazon through the Android Market?

irie

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Yes I have seen that as well. If you try to update an app you downloaded from amazon, it will ask you to buy and update if it is a paid app. Best to just update thru amazon market since you either got app free or already paid for it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
this is why i am sticking with Android Market and staying away from Amazon Market. i like consistency and not confusion. i am not downloading anything from Amazon Market - free or not.

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I use both Android and Amazon. I use Amazon because many apps are exclusives, such as the Angry Birds no ads versions. Some apps are cheaper on Amazon and currently they have one normally paid app up for free each day. I have no trouble looking at the My Apps in each for updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress