Google vs. Apple Development make the case...

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
So, I was asked by a potential investor why he should invest in Android app development when Apples market share is so much larger?

It's a fair question. My answer was similar to what you are all thinking...

Google is new to market, its app market is already flooded with apps and it has taken a sizable chunk of the U.S. handset market, in a very short time. His answer was "is this your opinion or supported by facts?". I explained that they are facts but I cannot prove my case. Am I wrong? Is Google not exploding onto the market globally? If yes, where is the data to prove it?

Hopefully we can make the case, it seems investors are still unaware of Googles abilities and more willing to ride the Apple wave...no pun.

Thanks,

Jason

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread. Here are my thoughts.

1. The Android "army" is larger. More carriers are taking on Android and iPhone is still locked to only AT&T
  2. RIM Users. These BB users are like the third party in an election and will swing one of these two (iPhone or Android) to win. Most BB users I spoke to plan on jumping to Android for one of two reasons...they hate AT&T or the iPhone looks like a toy. I have no clue what the small Palm OS group will do
  3. Android market is easier to get into, but it also disproves your comment. Many applications that are counted as apps on the market are just soundboards or Hello World applications.
  4. Java is cooler and there are many more java people than objective c
  5. Android works on a Windows OS, you really need a MAC for iPhone

Personally, this reminds me of the early 90's where Mac and Windows fought and Windows won. I think Mac and Google will fight now, and Google will win.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So, I was asked by a potential investor why he should invest in Android app development when Apples market share is so much larger?

It's a fair question. My answer was similar to what you are all thinking...

Google is new to market, its app market is already flooded with apps and it has taken a sizable chunk of the U.S. handset market, in a very short time. His answer was "is this your opinion or supported by facts?". I explained that they are facts but I cannot prove my case. Am I wrong? Is Google not exploding onto the market globally? If yes, where is the data to prove it?

Hopefully we can make the case, it seems investors are still unaware of Googles abilities and more willing to ride the Apple wave...no pun.

Thanks,

Jason

i just woulda told him there are currently 160k new potential customers coming online to androd daily and the number is growing can apples sale keep that many new customers coming in?

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Sure I can spout numbers all day long and that all sounds great, because we hear about it from a friend or read it on a forum like this (not that we or AndroidCentral are not reliable sources), but without hard evidence its hard to say anything more than opinion or feeling. I am trying to make a concrete argument as to why Apple is destined to lose this battle and why an investor should put their hard earned money into Android versus Apple or for that matter WinMo. We all know the truth, but Apple still holds the market share, for now. I guess I would try to prove that Google progress has been far faster than Apples, given that iPhone has been around for so long and only now does Apple come out with a truly new OS and phone, and have a closed source development which hampers progress. But where is the proof beyond the feelings we all share?

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Sure I can spout numbers all day long and that all sounds great, because we hear about it from a friend or read it on a forum like this (not that we or AndroidCentral are not reliable sources), but without hard evidence its hard to say anything more than opinion or feeling. I am trying to make a concrete argument as to why Apple is destined to lose this battle and why an investor should put their hard earned money into Android versus Apple or for that matter WinMo. We all know the truth, but Apple still holds the market share, for now. I guess I would try to prove that Google progress has been far faster than Apples, given that iPhone has been around for so long and only now does Apple come out with a truly new OS and phone, and have a closed source development which hampers progress. But where is the proof beyond the feelings we all share?

I am pretty sure the 160k android deviced coming on daily in in print int he news not jsut rumors here i know ther eis a video of the ceo of google i think stating his numbers and lot sof charts showing android gain ground

three_pineapples

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's my view

1) Apple has a strict app store policy. It is only getting stricter. Can he afford to invest in a platform that may reject his applications? Does he wish to offer his applications for sale somewhere else as well as the apple app store?

2) Android is really starting to gain momentum now. This year marks the first year that Apple is playing catchup in terms of hardware and software. now the next android version (Gingerbread) is coming out in 6 months and google have said it will blow our minds. They don't say things like this lightly. Also expect dual core processors in phones by the end of the year (should be nice with real multitasking!).

My point is that Apple will be playing catchup again next year too, and the year after that. Android is now at the forefront of development. Anything that Apple does, can be added to android very quickly since handsets are launched all the time. Apple only updates things once a year.

3) As someone said, Google have stated 160,000 devices are turned on daily. Now not all of these will have the market app on, but a lot will. The shear number of different phones means that there will be one to suit almost everyone. Also expect to see cheap android "feature phones" coming up soon. These will suit people who want a cheap phone, but will still come with android. Apple has no way to match this sales volume in the long term.

4) A point against google! Fragmentation. The extent of this problem depends on the features they want to use in their app. But most devices will be on 2.1 soon, so code for that and you will reach most people. Code for 1.6 and you'll reach pretty much everyone.

5) The open nature of android means they can sell their app in 5 different places at once if they wanted.

Ultimately there will be no proof. Just oppinions. It hasn't happened yet!
But due to the open nature of android, it will progress faster than Apples once a year release cycle.

In conclusion, Apple is the best bet for the short term for making money, but in the long term I expect android to lead in features and numbers. Apple development requires a heavy investment in their platform. Android does not.
Apple investment will be more of a risk in my opinion.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's my view

1) Apple has a strict app store policy. It is only getting stricter. Can he afford to invest in a platform that may reject his applications? Does he wish to offer his applications for sale somewhere else as well as the apple app store?

2) Android is really starting to gain momentum now. This year marks the first year that Apple is playing catchup in terms of hardware and software. now the next android version (Gingerbread) is coming out in 6 months and google have said it will blow our minds. They don't say things like this lightly. Also expect dual core processors in phones by the end of the year (should be nice with real multitasking!).

My point is that Apple will be playing catchup again next year too, and the year after that. Android is now at the forefront of development. Anything that Apple does, can be added to android very quickly since handsets are launched all the time. Apple only updates things once a year.

3) As someone said, Google have stated 160,000 devices are turned on daily. Now not all of these will have the market app on, but a lot will. The shear number of different phones means that there will be one to suit almost everyone. Also expect to see cheap android "feature phones" coming up soon. These will suit people who want a cheap phone, but will still come with android. Apple has no way to match this sales volume in the long term.

4) A point against google! Fragmentation. The extent of this problem depends on the features they want to use in their app. But most devices will be on 2.1 soon, so code for that and you will reach most people. Code for 1.6 and you'll reach pretty much everyone.

5) The open nature of android means they can sell their app in 5 different places at once if they wanted.

Ultimately there will be no proof. Just oppinions. It hasn't happened yet!
But due to the open nature of android, it will progress faster than Apples once a year release cycle.

In conclusion, Apple is the best bet for the short term for making money, but in the long term I expect android to lead in features and numbers. Apple development requires a heavy investment in their platform. Android does not.
Apple investment will be more of a risk in my opinion.

I agree! android has only been mass marketed for a short time and gaining ground and an incredible rate
curious what kind of app are you wanting to develop? i want an app that marks iphone users lol

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree! android has only been mass marketed for a short time and gaining ground and an incredible rate
curious what kind of app are you wanting to develop? i want an app that marks iphone users lol

Android is gaining market share far quicker than the iPhone, at least in the US. Many people simply WILL NOT ever switch to AT&T for the iPhone. For them, there are great Android phones on every major (and even some regional) carriers in the US. The perfect example is the Sammy Galaxy S which will be on at least 5 US carriers.

For a new dev like myself, Android is far more attractive than the iPhone because the iPhone 4 especially is mostly selling to people already on iPhones.... thus you can tell the growth isnt there. Plus Java is a much easier language to work in that C++ on the iPhone.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Sure I can spout numbers all day long and that all sounds great, because we hear about it from a friend or read it on a forum like this (not that we or AndroidCentral are not reliable sources), but without hard evidence its hard to say anything more than opinion or feeling.
Rather than looking at static market share, look at the growth rates. They're definitely documented, like market share, by credible sources.

I am trying to make a concrete argument as to why Apple is destined to lose this battle and why an investor should put their hard earned money into Android versus Apple or for that matter WinMo.
It's only the fanboys that think that the iPhone will be killed. Apple will always retain a significant market share. That, however, doesn't mean that Android isn't worth investing in. The overall market can support more than just one solution.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The biggest difference between the 2 is that Apple controls everything from design of hardware to OS, with Android they only have full control of the OS. Maybe they should start to develop there own hardware in house. Then the OS would run better cause the OS would be optimized for the hardware. Just like Apple. Until then you have to many hardware vendors that make phone for Android OS, thats why there is so many different OS version out there.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The biggest difference between the 2 is that Apple controls everything from design of hardware to OS, with Android they only have full control of the OS. Maybe they should start to develop there own hardware in house. Then the OS would run better cause the OS would be optimized for the hardware. Just like Apple. Until then you have to many hardware vendors that make phone for Android OS, thats why there is so many different OS version out there.

then why not ask all computer manufactuers to stop making pc's and make one platform optimized for windows. that wouldnt make sense phone makers have a real good idea of what is coming in android and can make the most of it or not. thos who do make the most of it more then likely will gain market share those who dont simply wont.
apple is for those who ENJOY being limited!!!!!!

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Lets bottom line this.

The iPhone has a MUCH larger app store. It is hard to weed through all the apps!

The iPhone probably will have (or has) less overall users than Android users because Android is on more devices/carriers and activating 160,000 users every day!

So we then have Android with more users but less good apps available. So I would think that would make a better market for a good application to succeed.

You have more people wanting good applications with less competition for them, at least for now.

This is the perfect time to get into Android development.

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I think the comment about Cisco's investment into a product running Android was significant. If you think about the millions it must have cost them in development of the hardware and software, plus the fact that this is just the beginning of what could be a larger product development line, Cisco's foray into Android is a significant choice. I did not see them selecting iPhoneOS3/4 for anything, or anyone else selecting it for anything...Oh I forgot, Apple doesn't allow that kind of thing... :)

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
There is an article somewhere I read 18 of the top carriers on the globe are working to put a store for apps together to rival itunes. Perhaps it is the upcoming Android market. I just don't see Apple having access to the future of global customer base. It is an OS that crosses multiple platforms and carriers people want choice not. One fits all

BluePLanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have access to any recent statistics about Google's progress regarding market share since it got onto the market with Android? Like how many phones are out there globally? How fast are they developing it? How fast is Apple growing? Just trying to find real numbers. Thanks, BPM

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention, all of the bad press apple is getting recently with the iphone4. Its even more hurtful, that they haven't acknowledged it. I feel bad for their users.

Anyone of my Iphone friends, that I have showed my EVO to are always in awe. They state that usally their is 100 apps for something that should only need 3 or 4 maybe. So, unless your app is in a league of it own and is something people will want you are kind of SOL. A few years ago, a good app could make you a millionaire. Now you really have to have something "revolutionary" to make you a millionaire.

my college friends and I use to make some pretty decent money with the 2 apps we have in the store a few years ago. Somewhere in the Iphone 3G days, we were lucky to make a few dollars a day. Now there is tons of apps just like ours out, when ours and 2 others were the only ones like us in the app store back then. Now were lucky enough to see a dollar a day.

Android will take over, its just a matter of time. The #1 thing holding most people back is iTunes. If google can make something like iTunes that offers the same content, program features and possibly slightly cheaper it would only help them.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have access to any recent statistics about Google's progress regarding market share since it got onto the market with Android? Like how many phones are out there globally? How fast are they developing it? How fast is Apple growing? Just trying to find real numbers. Thanks, BPM

look at the home page on android central they just released addmob numbers showing android is #2 worldwide and climbing