Why i’ve gone back to iPhones

SteakNachos

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I use Android phones every day, setting up and maintaining employees on our VPN and database servers, as well as having owned an HTC Evo, S5, Galaxy Tab, and Fire tablet. But its at work where I am using the latest and greatest Android phones. While Android phones have made expected upgrades to the screen, ram, cpu, camera, and introduced some new features and skins, the issues I have with Android still persist. And a lot of the benefits Android used to have, no longer exist. Android phones used to have the big screens you couldnt get on iPhones, as well as the SD card slot. Both no longer the case. Also Android phones are ditching the headphone jack, which everyone gave Apple crap for, but dont mind now that Androids doing it. Everyone thought it was crazy that the iPhone X was $1,000 and that no phone should cost that much, but nobody seems to be complaining that the Note 9 is a $1,000 phone, so there’s some real double standards happening here.

The main issue with Android is that its an OS that has to run on hundreds, if not thousands of models and hardware configurations, which means there are many more variables to cause a problem. This is why every Android device i’ve owned has froze or crashed on a daily basis. Apps would crash all the time, or not load when tapped, or would delay opening when tapped. And virus scans would run automatically when installing an app, or restarting the phone. I don’t know if I ever did get a virus, but I always let the scans run as a necessary troubleshooting step to the freezing and crashing issues, and that was bad enough. Wether or not I actually had a virus was insignificant.

Android is essentially a generic OS. This means manufacturers are allowed to do whatever they want with it. They come with overlays that people don’t want. Even worse, they can completely close off the OS like Amazon did with their Fire products. You couldn’t even access the Google Play store, and the app selection was pitiful.

Android having to run on so many different models is also reason why the app selection is much poorer. There is far more coding required for Android. And a lot of apps on Google Play are actually iOS ports and not native to Android. They are often missing features, and take longer to be released and updated. When I switched from iPhone to Android, there were many games and apps I used that were not on Google Play. When I switched back to iPhone, there were no Google Play apps I used that werent on the App Store. Android users also state that iPhones are too restrictive, yet they fail to say what essential tasks they are able to do on Android that iPhone users can’t.

Its also irritating that Android phones come with junk third party apps. When I unboxed a brand new S5 it actually started installing Candy Crush without asking me, i’m not lying. Those preinstalled third party apps subsidize some of the cost, which is one reason why Android phones are cheaper. Also, something like only 20% of active Android devices are running the latest and best Android version. More than 80% of iPhones have the latest iOS version. An iPhone 5S can even run the latest version of iOS and it came out in 2013. How many Android phones from 2013 can run Android Pie. Androids userbase is severely fragmented. Many Android users want “pure android”. iOS is always pure.

iPhone has the best content. There is nothing on Android that comes close to Garageband. Musicians have made billboard chart toppers with that app. Nothing on Android that is as simple, intuitive, yet effective as iMovie. iPhone has countless games that aren’t on Google Play. I made a list of games I had on iOS that werent on Google Play, but its too long to post here. I’ll post it in another comment if anyones curious.

iPhones also have better warranties. 1 year store warranty. Android phones have a 14-30 day store warranty that reverts to a manufacturers warranty where you have to RMA and ship your device and wait a month to get it back if it stops working in 6 months. iPhone support is also supplemented by the genius bar, and apple care, and apple is the only smartphone maker that has their call center in the US and not India. Less waiting on hold, being transferred, and receiving canned responses.

iPhones also have a better selection of accessories, and higher quality options. iPhones can facetime, and use all the other webcam apps. If you’re on Android and you want to webcam with family or friends with an iPhone, you have to make them setup and run Skype, which is a real pain with seniors. Similar case with wireless payment. iPhones have both Apple Pay and Google Wallet while Android cant use Apple Pay. iMessage has far more features and functionality than Androids messaging app.

When you buy an app on the iPad, you automatically get it for your iPhone. When I bought apps for my S5, I didnt get them for my Fire tablet. When you take a pic, receive a text, make a contact, or a note, on an iphone, ipad, or mac, its automatically on all the devices automatically, without having to mess with a separate app.

Also you can plug instruments like keyboards and guitars into iPhones, which you cant with Android. There’s a whole world of recording, effects, and sound modeling apps by Fender, Korg, Roland. You can have an entire recording and practice rig in your pocket. I sold my $500 8 track portastudio because my iphone does what it does better. Picking an iPhone is a no brainer for anyone who plays a music instrument.

iPhones have also been the first when it comes to important features. Siri was the first comprehensive voice assistant on a smartphone. iPhone had the first multi touch capacitive screen. Retina was the first high resolution mobile screen. First with visual voicemail. First phone with turn by turn GPS nav. iPhone had the first fingerprint scanner. First app store. First wireless payment protocol. iPhone has the first 3D face scanner and 3D touch sensor. iPhone has 3D touch which is a really cool feature that adds extra functionality to the screen. They have night mode, which makes the display easier on your eyes in the dark. On Android you have to mess with separate apps to emulate this. You can setup to be an organ donor on the phone and have important medical info that EMT can get without being able to unlock your phone. Lightning came out in 2012 while Android phones only adopted USB-C a couple of years ago.

Granted other brands have introduced features everyone else adopted, but not nearly as many important and fundamental as Apples. And Apple has often not been the first to create a feature or product, but were the first to do it right. Its been their design and execution that made them game changers. Apple makes Mac OS, Microsoft makes Windows. Apple makes iPod, Microsoft makes Zune. Apple makes iPhone, Microsoft makes Windows Phone. Apple makes iPad, Microsoft makes Surface. Apple makes Siri, Microsoft makes Cortana. Apple makes Apple Store, Microsoft makes Microsoft Store. Apple makes Garageband, Microsoft makes Songsmith. Apple makes iPod Touch, Microsoft makes Zune HD. Apple makes iTunes, Microsoft makes Zune Marketplace. Yet nobody is accusing Microsoft of copying Apple.

I believe Apple is a little more protective with their users privacy and data. Apples competitors are non US companies and are not subject to laws and protocots to the degree Apple is. And lookup what happened in India with the smeshapp. Look at what happened with Xiamo smartphones. And Google is a hundred billion dollar company who’s main business is advertising. Every brand collects data, as its needed to resolve bugs, but in Googles case, they collect data to “provide you with a better optimized experience”, which is another way of saying, they want to learn what you like so they can sell their metadata to advertisers.

People look at top tier Android phones, and read up on the specs, and automatically perceive it as a better phone, but the importance of these things fade after the honeymoon period fades away. A schoolbus has more horsepower and torque than a porsche boxter. That doesn’t mean the schoolbus is better. Ultimately hardware is just a means to use software, and content is king. Still, when a new model iPhone comes out, it takes first place with geekbench scores. No other phone performed better than the XS Max Plus when it hit the market, so even the benefit of specs going to Android isn’t necessarily true.

People complain that iPhones cost too much. Nobody needs a flagship model, just like nobody needs a new car that costs more than a Honda Accord. You pay a premium for the latest tech, just as you would with the best and newest Android phones. Someone on a budget can get a 7 or 8 plus for much less, and still have a really good phone that can do everything.

While there are criticisms I have against Apple, like how much they charge for more storage, and I have compliments towards Android phones, like the quality of their screens, and cameras on the too tier models, after adding and subtracting the pros and cons of both, the iPhone is still better for me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
so there’s some real double standards happening here.
I think the idea of a phone costing more than an average laptop is ludicrous. I don't care who makes the phone.

Android is essentially a generic OS. This means manufacturers are allowed to do whatever they want with it.
Correction: It's open source, and that is the double edge sword of being open source. Sometimes, good ideas come from outside the ones maintaining the OS. Multi window comes to mind.

1 year store warranty.
Only good if you have a store nearby. If you don't it's just as useless as an RMA.

you have to make them setup and run Skype
There are more options than Skype.

When I bought apps for my S5, I didnt get them for my Fire tablet.
Not a fair statement. Amazon closed themselves off from Google Play. If you bought an app with your S5 and had a Samsung tablet signing in with the same account, you could get the app there as well.

so they can sell their metadata to advertisers.
Google doesn't sell data. You said yourself they are an ad agency (which I agree with) so it would be in their best interest to NOT sell it.

You pay a premium for the latest tech
While this is true in a sense, Apple also way overprices some of their products. The Mac Pro, the cylindrical shaped PC, comes to mind.

Most of your post is subjective, if not misleading. I only picked out what stood out to me.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I stopped taking you seriously after reading "every Android device i've owned has froze or crashed on a daily basis." I just can't believe this. It sounds like you're exaggerating.

An RMA takes months to get your phone back?

Most carriers have more presence via stores than Apple does, and they all do manufacturer warranty replacements.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I stopped taking you seriously after reading "every Android device i've owned has froze or crashed on a daily basis." I just can't believe this. It sounds like you're exaggerating.

An RMA takes months to get your phone back?

Most carriers have more presence via stores than Apple does, and they all do manufacturer warranty replacements.

I could possibly, and emphasis on possibly, see that if he was referring to off brand device from say, 2012. But the second an upgrade happens to a mid tier phone in say 2015, that almost completely goes out the window.

SteakNachos

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think the idea of a phone costing more than an average laptop is ludicrous. I don't care who makes the phone.

Smartphones have far more tech these days than laptops, packed in a handheld device. Laptops don’t have 3d facial scanners, gps, accelerometers, gyrometers, 450ppi displays with 3d touch, dual 12mp cameras, and arent waterproof. Bleeding edge tech comes at a premium. Nobody needs a flagship model. A 7 or 8 plus is still a very good phone for a much lower price. You would freak if you knew what crappy 386 IBM computers costed in the 80’s.

ICorrection: It's open source, and that is the double edge sword of being open source. Sometimes, good ideas come from outside the ones maintaining the OS. Multi window comes to mind.

Certainly other brands have brought new features to the table that Apple has adopted, and vice versa, but the fact that Android has to run on hundreds of different product is the source of most of the cons I previously listed. Open source has two benefits. Lower cost, and a much larger selection of products to choose from. But the poorer selection of apps, the ported apps, the more frequent freezing and crashing, the virus scanners, the preinstalled crapware, the fact that only a small percentage of models can run Pie, are the result.

IOnly good if you have a store nearby. If you don't it's just as useless as an RMA.

You have certified apple service centers for people who live in more rural and remote areas.

IThere are more options than Skype.

And those other apps are on iOS too. My point is on Android you dont have the ability to use a feature countless smartphone users have. iPhones can webcam with anyone.

Not a fair statement. Amazon closed themselves off from Google Play. If you bought an app with your S5 and had a Samsung tablet signing in with the same account, you could get the app there as well.

I know that caveat only applies to Fire products. But my point was that manufacturers can take Android and ruin it. At the very least, mess with it, with the overlays; and carrier apps nobody wants. Certain carriers can even block certain features. Common in Asian

Google doesn't sell data. You said yourself they are an ad agency (which I agree with) so it would be in their best interest to NOT sell it.

I wish this were true, but its not. How much do you pay to use Googles sites and apps? Nothing. Who do you think pays for it, and why?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna870501

While this is true in a sense, Apple also way overprices some of their products. The Mac Pro, the cylindrical shaped PC, comes to mind.

Apple overcharges for more storage. $150 to go from 32gb to 128gb for example. But this their way of creating a product line tier. They typically don’t make a tier by making a model that has less ram or a slower cpu, because this would fragment their hardware configuration userbase. I’m not saying this is right, or good, but its a logical business model.

People complain iMacs are overpriced, but fail to remember its a super slim all in one. No other brand makes an equal or better all in one. At the repair shop I worked at, we had more Windows all in ones die than any other computer by fair. The power supplies, and air flow designs were horrible. And believe it or not, when macbook airs were first released, there were no other ultrabooks that had better specs for a lower price.

But the mac pro is a niche product. Its a high end machine packed in a small circular body which is an engineering feat. It also costs a lot because its one of the only consumer computers thats manufactured in the US. Thats a huge factor. A made in china les paul guitar costs $400. A made in america les paul costs $2000. And the fewer amount of hnits a company is going to sell, the higher the price is going to be. High sales subsidizes lower prices. Could the mac pro be cheaper? Probably, but not by a huge margin. Anyways this doesn’t apply to smartphone. If the new iphone can be called overpriced, you’d need to name a smartphone thats better for a lower price. Better in all aspects not just specs.

Most of your post is subjective, if not misleading. I only picked out what stood out to me.

If I had to estimate, i’d say 30% of my comment was anecdotal experiences and opinions, and 70% of it was facts. I’m assuming I don’t have to go over that line by line since most know how to tell fact from opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though. Ultimately its good that Android exists and is successful. Competition is necessary to drive innovation and quality, and having more choices is always better than having fewer choices. I would never want to see Apple or anyone have a monopoly.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The main issue with Android is that its an OS that has to run on hundreds, if not thousands of models and hardware configurations, which means there are many more variables to cause a problem. This is why every Android device i’ve owned has froze or crashed on a daily basis.

I think what you are saying was true during the Android early years, however it is one of the reasons I like Google phones.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: cleaned some posts. Please make sure we are keeping discussions civil and on topic. At no time should we be calling each other out or insulting each other in the forums. Thank you.

SR45

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Boy, That was long winded .......

I am just the opposite. I’ve had apple phones for so long that I thought it was part of the family, but my last one was the iPhone 8 Plus. With all their little problems they’ve had I thought it was time to try something different. Even though I’ve heard many of your stories of how Apple is better, I am mature enough to understand that some people over embellish apple over android. Now I’ve gone to galaxy S9. Show you can go and enjoy apple, wish you luck. I’ll stick with my galaxy S9. I’ve had absolutely no issues as you have described in your long rant.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Smartphones have far more tech these days than laptops, packed in a handheld device. Laptops don’t have 3d facial scanners, gps, accelerometers, gyrometers, 450ppi displays with 3d touch, dual 12mp cameras, and arent waterproof. Bleeding edge tech comes at a premium. Nobody needs a flagship model. A 7 or 8 plus is still a very good phone for a much lower price. You would freak if you knew what crappy 386 IBM computers costed in the 80’s.

Certainly other brands have brought new features to the table that Apple has adopted, and vice versa, but the fact that Android has to run on hundreds of different product is the source of most of the cons I previously listed. Open source has two benefits. Lower cost, and a much larger selection of products to choose from. But the poorer selection of apps, the ported apps, the more frequent freezing and crashing, the virus scanners, the preinstalled crapware, the fact that only a small percentage of models can run Pie, are the result.

You have certified apple service centers for people who live in more rural and remote areas.

And those other apps are on iOS too. My point is on Android you dont have the ability to use a feature countless smartphone users have. iPhones can webcam with anyone.

I know that caveat only applies to Fire products. But my point was that manufacturers can take Android and ruin it. At the very least, mess with it, with the overlays; and carrier apps nobody wants. Certain carriers can even block certain features. Common in Asian

I wish this were true, but its not. How much do you pay to use Googles sites and apps? Nothing. Who do you think pays for it, and why?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna870501

Apple overcharges for more storage. $150 to go from 32gb to 128gb for example. But this their way of creating a product line tier. They typically don’t make a tier by making a model that has less ram or a slower cpu, because this would fragment their hardware configuration userbase. I’m not saying this is right, or good, but its a logical business model.

People complain iMacs are overpriced, but fail to remember its a super slim all in one. No other brand makes an equal or better all in one. At the repair shop I worked at, we had more Windows all in ones die than any other computer by fair. The power supplies, and air flow designs were horrible. And believe it or not, when macbook airs were first released, there were no other ultrabooks that had better specs for a lower price.

But the mac pro is a niche product. Its a high end machine packed in a small circular body which is an engineering feat. It also costs a lot because its one of the only consumer computers thats manufactured in the US. Thats a huge factor. A made in china les paul guitar costs $400. A made in america les paul costs $2000. And the fewer amount of hnits a company is going to sell, the higher the price is going to be. High sales subsidizes lower prices. Could the mac pro be cheaper? Probably, but not by a huge margin. Anyways this doesn’t apply to smartphone. If the new iphone can be called overpriced, you’d need to name a smartphone thats better for a lower price. Better in all aspects not just specs.

If I had to estimate, i’d say 30% of my comment was anecdotal experiences and opinions, and 70% of it was facts. I’m assuming I don’t have to go over that line by line since most know how to tell fact from opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though. Ultimately its good that Android exists and is successful. Competition is necessary to drive innovation and quality, and having more choices is always better than having fewer choices. I would never want to see Apple or anyone have a monopoly.

The comment you made about Google selling personal data is misleading because it is based on the fact that Google is making money on the fact that they have this data, but they do not sell it, and that is a nuance that you did not mention.

The 70-30 split that you described I would say is far closer to 20-80 in the other direction. A lot of it falls into the category of while not technically being untrue, being grossly misleading in its representation of the true picture.

I wish you would have posted this a few weeks ago when I would have had time to do a line by line response for you, because I think we could have a very good conversation of your perspective along with my experience in this field. I'm sorry I've been too busy to give an in-depth response.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
To clarify, the article which the op linked to back up their claim that Google is selling user data specifically states that Google is not doing so. Using links to support an argument, when the content of that link clearly contradicts an argument, is clearly misleading. In this case specifically is playing on the fear-mongering associated with Google that is commonplace and on the fact that it is assumed that no one will actually click on the link and read it.

Does Google collect user data, yes.
Does Google make a lot of money through their utilization of that, yes.
is Google selling that data and or giving it to third parties without explicit permission to do so? Not in any way.

Google's entire business model, as it relates to personal data, is built on the opposite premise.

To suggest otherwise is dishonest unless there is evidence available to contradict the facts stated above.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I paid $1,449 for a phone that has forced beauty mode in the selfie camera; a phone that doesn't charge up unless the phone is awake; and a phone that has a crappier display than the previous year's flagship model. Yeah, Apple is really great right now. /s

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It's an LG display. I can see the difference in quality between the iPhone XS Max's display and the iPhone X's display when I put them side-by-side. The colors are more muted on the XS Max's display.
Is this the same display that just got rated by DisplayMate as the new best display ever?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe