Automotive Scan Tool App

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Can someone recommend a good scan tool app. I am a driveability tech and would like to get one for at home for side work and friends cars. Thanks

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Suggest Torque in the market. It interfaces with bluetooth OBD scanners that can be found for ~ $30 on eBay. The author is very responsive.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It syncs bluetooth to a sensor connected into the ODB-II sensor that is require on all cars from 1996 on. Typical location for these ports are under the stearing wheel, or on the drivers side around where a a hood release lever would be. It can pull codes for diagnostics, display "real-time" engine stats like RPM, speed, boost (turbo/supercharged cars with a sensor built in). Pretty neat stuff for the motorhead like me. I've been thinking about getting something like this. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who has autozones/advanced auto parts near by and just need a diagnostics scan. Those places do it for free.

Torque App

Example of wireless ODB-II scanner

Last edited:
Reactions: prometheus

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It syncs bluetooth to a sensor connected into the ODB-II sensor that is require on all cars from 1996 on. Typical location for these ports are under the stearing wheel, or on the drivers side around where a a hood release lever would be. It can pull codes for diagnostics, display "real-time" engine stats like RPM, speed, boost (turbo/supercharged cars with a sensor built in). Pretty neat stuff for the motorhead like me. I've been thinking about getting something like this. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who has autozones/advanced auto parts near by and just need a diagnostics scan. Those places do it for free.

Torque App

Example of wireless ODB-II scanner
Thanks its just what I was looking for.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That's pretty cool. I never knew there were BT code readers and software for phones. I think I'm going to get me one of them.

Rufflez, do you have any personal experience with those cheapo ebay scanners?

Last edited:

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks rufflez -- didn't know it was so easy to do that. I paid the Ford dealership a crap load of money to determine why the "check engine" light was on (O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold). it would have been sweet to just go buy a switch myself and save $$

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
well, I haven't yet. I just finished school and cut it close with disposable income. I have a part time job now, so I may try it out. I'll definitely post back when I bite.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks rufflez -- didn't know it was so easy to do that. I paid the Ford dealership a crap load of money to determine why the "check engine" light was on (O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold). it would have been sweet to just go buy a switch myself and save $$

Yeah, next time, just got to an autoparts store. They should be able to diagnose it for free. its like an incentive to buy the parts there instead of the dealership

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
As a service tech my self just because there is code does not mean that's the fault. I have fixed a lot of cars that came from the local part store who claimed to fix it. Just be careful. I normally use a scan tool to see what the code is and test with my lab scope.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Like with most technology, these tools are meant for those who really know how to use them! I have a deal w/ my local mechanic, he fixes my cars, I fix his computers. We both know enough to know what we don't know. ;)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm familiar with cars. Just learning more and more about modern day sensors and stuff. I learned most of what I know with my first car, including how to patch something on the side of the road so I can get it to limp home (1974 SuperBeetle). Learned some coolant and system codes with my second car (1994 300zx). And my current car, fortunately American, has had only oddball warning lights come on and not cost me a lot of money to get fixed.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate the warnings and concerns, but I've been maintaining and rebuilding my own cars and bikes for several decades now. I've got pretty good diagnostic skills. Just haven't really had a need for a code scanner yet, and figured these are cheap enough maybe I'll get one anyway.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I finally got the scanner, and ran it with Torque. It works great, gets all the error codes off my 2000 Malibu. I would reccomend to get this scanner that was recommended before.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non