Chomp SMS vs. Handcent SMS.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm using ChompSMS now after using Handcent for a month. So far I like it better. I can't really pick out the specifics of why though, but often enough I'd come across small things that would annoy the hell out of me with Handcent that had me switch over to ChompSMS. Handcent was really nice, mind you, and well put together, but I haven't run into anything that's had me stopping and thinking "WTF?" while using ChompSMS. I guess the best way to sum it up for me is that Chomp is more fluid in my use. So far, anyway.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Chomp has the ability to break up messages into 160 character pieces for those on CDMA networks or that need to send to CDMA networks, a great feature, and I don't believe Handcent has it.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Chomp has the ability to break up messages into 160 character pieces for those on CDMA networks or that need to send to CDMA networks, a great feature, and I don't believe Handcent has it.

Handcent has this as well. That was the main reason I started using it.

rxpx33#AC

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
For me I switched to Chomp from Handcent because there were little things that I got annoyed with when using Handcent. I think the biggest thing that annoyed me about it was I would lose my notification noise every now and then and have to battery pull to get it back. I have been using Chomp for about 3 weeks now and have not seen that problem again.

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
So far I've been using handcent and I haven't ran into any problems that have been described so far. I really like handcent but I guess I'll give chomp a try. I think handcent has everything for me with all the customizations and feel to it.

Chillout

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I used chomp for awhile, and it was fun but when I switched to handcent it felt it was much better for me. It has so many ways to customize your experience it's almost overkill..but that's a good thing IMO. Just have to be careful that when you use other notification apps like missed call and what not that you don't get too many notifies popping up everywhere and get confused so make sure you turn off all the other notifications for texts..LOL

quic

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Chomp has a better user interface for the text messages. You'll notice the bubbles are much cleaner looking and the text lines up better inside each bubble but with Handcent it doesn't line up properly.

Also you can see the colors as your changing them with Chomp to get a better idea of how they will look.

Also i can't ever get Handcent to make anything white or silver or gray it's more of a goldish color where with Chomp the colors are exactly as they are supposed to be.

Handcent used to delete messages at random and i wouldn't even know. until someone would text me and ask why i didn't respond. plus id get a notification sound and see no message so i know something was up.

Handcent also lags my phone. Now mind you i have a Droid eris and it's not exactly powerful but with handcent my phone would freeze for 5 seconds or more after sending messages and would hang and force close when deleteing large threads. Both of which do not happen to me with Chomp.

All in all... I used handcent for 1 months and hated it by the end of the one month period and i switched to ChompSMS and have had it for 2 months or so now and have had not had any problems. I just love ChompSMS

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It's funny how different people have different experiences. I've never experienced any of the issues with Handcent that you speak of. In fact, the default color scheme is black text with a green bubbled background for received messages, and black text with a grayish bubbled background for sent messages. It looks very similar to the iPhone in that regard.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I prefer Handcent, but that is because I've never used Chomp, I downloaded Handcent 5mins from leaving the Verizon store and have been happy with it since, never needing to try another app, Handcent has done everything I needed it to, and I've customized everything JUST how I want it

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I prefer Handcent, but that is because I've never used Chomp, I downloaded Handcent 5mins from leaving the Verizon store and have been happy with it since, never needing to try another app, Handcent has done everything I needed it to, and I've customized everything JUST how I want it

That's exactly how I feel

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly how I feel

+1, same here .. Handcent is awesome (for me). I've used it for a few months now and haven't had any other issues listed. I've customized it with a different background and changed the bubble colors/text colors, etc ... Love it!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
My reason is pretty dumb for liking Handcent more. I tried ChompSMS and didn't like the vibrate patterns for the notifications, I like the one on Handcent though.

vrekeno

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Using chompSms although I just realized the date is not displayed in conversations. Hard to know when I received/sent the message... I checked the options and found nothing relevant...

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I've used both and prefer Handcent. I started off with Handcent and liked it except for the visual quality of the bubbles, they appears as they were meant for a phone with a lower resolution than the Droid (I bet that was the case BTW). I changed to ChompSms and thought it had a more appealing look but after a few weeks decided I liked Hancent more. I switched back and was pleasantly surprised to see they improved the graphics and have been using them without complains ever since. For me the pop up notification is superior on Handcent.

ksat

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I currently use Handcent - But, I've got a problem that maybe someone can help me out with...

I have it set as my default app (or so I think I do) but I'll get a notification for BOTH the google Messaging app as well as Handcent. And, ever since installing Handcent, I'm getting duplicate txt messages. I've confirmed that the sender isn't accidentally sending multiples, my phone is just indicating multiplees. Wierd... So, I'm not sure if something isn't set up right....or not installed correctly, or what.

I was really hoping that Handcent would completely replace the current messaging app for the phone.

Thoughts?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Handcent has this as well. That was the main reason I started using it.

Can you tell me how to get into it? I actually liked Handcent better but dumped it in favor of chomp for this feature... I'm on Verizon but have a lot of friends on Tmobile and it got to be a pain in the @$$ to keep breaking messages up manually and I cant send MMS from my work because of the building...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo