[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
attachment.php

What is it?

The Backup Wonder Machine is a Windows (XP, Vista, 7) application designed to back up your user apps and their associated data to a file on your computer, with no root required. It's simply a front end for the new backup method built into Ice Cream Sandwich, distributed in one easy to use self contained folder. You can then restore this backup to your phone after a data wipe and have all your apps and their settings back.

Requirements
  • An Android phone running Ice Cream Sandwich
  • A Windows (XP, Vista, or W7) computer.
  • The Microsoft .NET4 framework.
  • The appropriate USB driver for your phone.

Known limitations
  • Desktop settings, Wifi credentials, and other system data is not restored for the Galaxy Nexus.
  • Custom builds of ICS may or may not work. Talk to your ROM developer about adding support for Native Android Desktop backup.
  • You tell me.

How to use
Download the zip file attached to the post
  • Unzip the entire directory anywhere on your harddrive. The entire directory. We will point and laugh if you don't unzip the entire directory.
  • Install the adb driver for your phone. Visit the manufacturer device page or the appropriate device forum for assistance.
  • Turn on USB debugging.
  • Plug phone into a high speed primary port on your computer.
  • Run the BWM.exe file
  • Choose "Backup" or "Restore"
  • Look at the screen on your phone
  • Wait for it to finish

You'll then have a large file named backup.ab in the application folder. You can place this file anywhere you like, but it will need to be there and have the same name to use as a restore. Warning, this file can be very large -- as in 4GB in size. this depends on the number of apps and their data you have on your phone.

Good luck, sing out if there's any issues.

Last edited:

pgm131

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Seems to be working. Backing up now! Should have taken yours and Phils advice from the start and unlocked bootloader when I first got it!

commisherwood

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much! This was a nice solution for backing up and restoring my phone to a new galaxy nexus after I cracked my screen. I've used Titanium in the past, but this is a work phone and no rooting so I was happy to stumble across this solution.

Cheers!

g0dchaser

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I backed it up and it will not restore the phone. I put a simple encrypted password in and it says "Restore started..." then almost immediately "Restore ended."... Ideas?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I backed it up and it will not restore the phone. I put a simple encrypted password in and it says "Restore started..." then almost immediately "Restore ended."... Ideas?
Were you trying to restore your backup to ICS or GB? Remember this is ICS supported only.

g0dchaser

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes ICS. I updated to the ICS the other day when you dropped the update file to use without rooting. As others, I've experienced MISERABLE battery performance, only making it until mid-afternoon with moderate use and hardly anything running in the background (as have the other 2 NS4Gs in our house). I tried this so I could factory reset my device after reading that that could help.

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I just used "adb backup -all" to create a backup before I discovered this utility.

Is the backup file that it created compatiable with BWM?

Thanks,

jschriesheim

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Attempting to back up a Verizon Gnex with stock 4.02 ICS, I get prompted to enter an encryption password, even though I have not encrypted the phone.

Nothing I enter seems to make the backup proceed (pressing Back up my data after entering an encryption password).

Any ideas?

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
How do you know when its done?????

It told me when mine was done. I dont see that large of a file though kinda like someone else pointed out. I hope it actually backed up everything. Anyone know if it backs up the saved data so I dont loose game info? I tried that Moborobo app and it wouldnt restore saved info. Im about to just say heck with waiting on VZW to push the update and run the leak myself lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa