I fell in love with Google Currents

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I was a google reader hold-out for a while until a few days ago when I tried google currents and now i'm in love with it. initially i thought that currents was just some digital magazine reader (it is, sorta!) but it also imported my reader rss feeds too.
it's very beautiful to use and i can read the full articles right inside of it w/o launching the web browser. with google reader, it always annoyed me that every time i'd launch the full article it would open up a new tab in the browser. after a while, i had a million tabs which pissed off my slightly OCD butt! :D in any case, currents is a pleasure to use and actually easier to read (nicer layout than reader).

question for other google current and g-reader users: do i steel need to keep my g-reader sync'ing on or does currents handle that too?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I used Google Currents and I've never used Reader. Currents will automatically sync when you open it and click on a feed. (They've actually improved this recently. It used to be really slow, but it's much better now). I manually created my RSS feeds in Currents. If you went this same route than I assume you can completely ditch Reader.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
really? i tried the beta version of flipboard and didn't think it was anything special. am i missing something about flipboard? what about pulse? how does it compare to either currents and/or flipboard?

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Flipboard was nothing great. It takes a lot of screen space for nothing... I prefer Pulse to all others.

Sent from my International HTC One X.

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Flipboard, Pulse, Current...can someone pls tell me which one to go for

i currently use Flipboard and occasionally, it takes me to a webpage to read some articles.....most times the articles load up in Flipboard...in the last few days, it has become quite slow refreshing feeds

bkfly45

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I've used all mentioned, my standby is still GReader Pro though I'm using Currents more and more for MSM, pulse just takes forever to load/refresh (rooted, oc'd JB xoom). I put several GReader Pro widgets on my Droid X & xoom, so they are big scrollable news feeds basically (100 stories per widget, widget pulls stories from my folders in google reader), then have it setup in the app's settings so clicking any news line item in a widget instantly opens a window and you go right to the web feed of it, with JB rom's this goes a ton faster than it did with ICS, a couple secs and you have the whole page in front of you, hit back and you're out and ready for the next, and I never have to actually open any app/whatever, just click story headlines on one of my screens where I place the widgets.

It's not that pretty but highly functional, but my main RSS feed is the feed from an aggregator, so I'm just clicking through links already (No Agenda News Network), haven't found anything else that handles links better than GReader Pro - use it also for following the few people on twitter I want to see away from the noise, so I group a few people's twitter feeds into folder on Google Reader and use that folder as a widget, instead of having to use a widget from a twitter app that will give me my entire feed (which I use as well).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo