Drop text messaging, and use data only?

nthnu

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking this through and thought I'd get some more info lol.

I've thought about dropping my text messaging plan. I'm always in a 4G area and at least a 3G area wherever I go, so data should be good. Are there any apps that can be used?

I've thought about Everyme, as I can send sms/mms, email, and web messages. Not sure what will happen if I don't have data; will I still receive them as sms or email?

Something else I thought of was using my email. I already have it. Won't work without data, and I'd need to know their carrier to format the email to text them.

Nate

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
What carrier? as part of Verizon shared plan texting is included in the price and no unbundling.

Sent from my Nexus 7

nthnu

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Verizon. The only shared part of my plan are the talk minutes. The text and data are separate.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Google Voice for 2+ years now. It gets the job done (basic training texting, no pics or video) but I really wish the would update the app. It's fairly basic. And has some limitations and is a little slow at times. It saves me $30/mo on Verizon.

You can only send a single message to 5 people max. If your contact name has 2 opening or 2 closing parentheses in it, it fails to send (without telling you why) and Google voice adds at least one of each when you select the contact.

Message threads get cutoff after too much time passes. I'd like to keep the whole thread together even after a day of not sending someone a message.

One handy thing it does is allow you to copy your message text after you send it in case you forgot and want to send to more than 5 people.

Does anyone use a different app than Google Voice but use your Google Voice service/phone number with that app?

prenoobster

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Side note if your looking to reduce your minutes as well.. Use an Internet calling (data only) app like groove or sipdroid and or link them to your google voice.. But that might be a little to much since your just wanting to drop your texting

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

nthnu

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I've used talkatone before and have used it with google voice. I didn't know messaging was data only. Does it send SMS and MMS?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums