Google Maps, Nav, PLaces, Lattitude

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I am having trouble using Google Nav. When I set a destination and then try to find places while on route to that destination, my whole route gets changed to the found place. For example, I am Navigating to King's Dominion, but I realize I need gas. What do I do to find and then set a way-point for gas en route to my final destination. On the Garmin I have I would be navigating, then i would look for places, like gas. I could navigate to gas and then the route would continue on to my final destination (KD). How do I do this in Google Nav??
Any more tips on using the Google set of "Map-type" products would be highly appreciated. I am having trouble switching from my Garmin to my Droid X as a navigating tool.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
First thing to remember is that Google Nav is a beta app and isn't fully fledged out at this point.

The best way to do what you're trying to do, is to go back to destination and pick your original destination from the Recent Destinations list. It should be near the top. It doesn't really do via points like the Garmin does. Maybe it will in the future. I don't know if turning on the gas station layer would help and how it handles destinations from there. For me, I can't use the layers to select things while driving because it's so small. They've already had a couple updates since I've been using it on the EVO since 6/4 so new features are bound to appear.

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I see. Thank you for pointing that out. That is a serious limit to the program but I am sure Google will add it at some point. I really wish they would integrate Nav, Maps, Places, Latitude...more tightly. I hope they do...

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I still use my garmin for long or complicated trips. I like being able to set up routes with multiple stops ahead of time. But it's handy to have a useful navigation system always with me.

braj

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to be able to remove some items to give more space to my own items, for example bars. I don't go to bars ever. I was wanting to stop for Jamba Juice when on the road yesterday and this would have come in handy, so now I have a Jamba Juice button, yea! It would also be nice to be able to make a launcher short-cut directly to search items.

Davest

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd be very surprised if Google's medium-to-long-range plan was not to integrate all of these apps. It makes sense to keep them separate until they're all stable and out of beta, though, so that a fault in one doesn't break the whole package. I agree, though - to me, the only reason to use an alternate nav app or device is the ability to use waypoints and diversions. Hopefully that functionality will come soon!

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd be very surprised if Google's medium-to-long-range plan was not to integrate all of these apps. It makes sense to keep them separate until they're all stable and out of beta, though, so that a fault in one doesn't break the whole package. I agree, though - to me, the only reason to use an alternate nav app or device is the ability to use waypoints and diversions. Hopefully that functionality will come soon!

That definitely sounds like a good plan for the folks at Google. Let's hope they are thinking that way.

These apps are so good that it is hard to think of them as betas.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Not sure is this is the correct place to ask this question but is true 3d navigation (like desktop/browser google earth) coming to navigation or even Earth for android?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45