Possible flaw in App Protector Pro

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought the App Protector Pro App in order to secure my apps that have sensitive info. that I want protected in case I lose my phone. It works great on my phone but I think there is a serious flaw in the app.
I connected my phone to my computor yesterday and I noticed that I was able to open up and view my files in Quick Office on my computor without having to type in my password. I have Quick Office set in the App Protector Pro. on my phone.
So now I'm wondering if my phone gets stolen can someone just connect it to their computor and view my files or is it just allowed on my computor because thats where the files originated from.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think the only way to know for sure is to find another computer to try it on.

BUT, from looking at their web page, it appears that all this app does it prompt for a password before allowing an app to start. This won't actually protect your data. If it can be viewed from a different program, app protector won't do anything about it. And, as you've discovered, it can't stop an app on your computer from starting.

If you need to protect your files that much, you'll have to find something that encrypts them. Otherwise, someone who finds your phone can just remove the SD card and read the data there easily.

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought the App Protector Pro App in order to secure my apps that have sensitive info. that I want protected in case I lose my phone. It works great on my phone but I think there is a serious flaw in the app.
I connected my phone to my computor yesterday and I noticed that I was able to open up and view my files in Quick Office on my computor without having to type in my password. I have Quick Office set in the App Protector Pro. on my phone.
So now I'm wondering if my phone gets stolen can someone just connect it to their computor and view my files or is it just allowed on my computor because thats where the files originated from.

I use App Lock for about two months and it works well, you select the app you want to protect from list and it works perfectly, and here something I learned if you download the free version the auto start is reverse, unchecked start on reboot and the application will work at systems start up. And take my word it will not allow you into anything you restricted without using password. I use it for my Market, Messages and Settings menu and it keeps all prying eyes out but I guess wont help for this situation.

If you need to protect your files that much, you'll have to find something that encrypts them. Otherwise, someone who finds your phone can just remove the SD card and read the data their easily.

The simplest thing you don't think of, I didn't even think of that....

Last edited: