need help finding an app

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I need help finding an app (if such a one exists).
Basically right now I have series of index cards on my desk. They are in different piles, and then within each stack of cards they are different colors.
So if I need a red card from pile A, it is pretty easy for me to find.

Example (not my actual data). Lets say I eat in 4 different towns and like 5 different types of food (American, Fast food, Italian, Chinese and Mexican). I would have a pile for each town, and then a color for each type of food. Then each card is an individual restaurant and has data for me on it (such as price, menu, etc...)

I am looking for an app for me to enter my cards into, and then be able to pick, Town X, Mexican, and then just scroll through the set of cards.

Any ideas?
the only thing I can think of is to make each one a word doc and then just use a file structure. But that seems pretty lame.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, you said "not my actual data" so are you looking for a restaurant app or was that stuff only an example and not indicative of your data?

Lots of restaurant apps out there (Where, Places, Zagat, etc..). Honestly not familiar with most of them. I have one that shows menus if available, but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe it was Layar that did that...

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Like a database app?

Memento syncs with Google Docs. But not sure it fits your needs. like Evil said, it helps if we know the kind of data you are dealing with.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Not looking for a restaurant app at all. I was just using that as an example to help explain what I need. I have just a small set of info (3-4 sentences) per index card right now. I want to be able to enter that text, categorize them by more than one thing, and then easily have the app let me filter by those categories to find the one I need.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Probably could do that with Memento, I think. Not sure. It does say:
Main features:
* Storing entries with custom fields;
* Sorting and grouping entries by any fields;
* 13 types of fields: – text, integer, currency, image, audio, contact,

Sounds like it would do what you want. I am not familiar with it though.

Or you could do an Excel sheet and just view it in Quick Office. If you're efficient at Excel and don't need to edit it on your phone. I am not sure if/how Quick Office handles more complicated Excel items like filtering fields you would need, or if it only handles basic spreadsheets.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Playing quickly with Memento. It has potential. Don't know for sure yet....

Update - Looking really, really good.

Last edited:

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, however, storing sensitive data on the web, especially someone else's server is not what I am interested in. I want it all to be on the device.