Sync Gmail Contacts to Outlook on DESKTOP

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I are using Outlook on Windows 7 desktops and want to sync our Outlook Contacts with Gmail on our Evos. This program would need to run on a Win7 PC. Cost would need to be free or under $10 as it needs to run on two PCs.

Note I am not looking to import contacts as I already know how to do that. I am looking for a program that will keep the contacts syncronized (updated) aautomatically between a PC and gmail.

Thanks,
Walter

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Gekko but CompanionLink costs $40. Since my wife and I used different desktop computers the total cost would be $80. I can perform a lot of manual updates for that amount.

(I don't mind paying for software if the cost matches my needs. Also I was laid off two months ago and on a limited budget at the moment.)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
maybe you should consider nixing Outlook and just use Gmail Webmail with -

1. Chrome Browser
2. Google Mail Checker Extension
3. Google Calendar Checker Extension

i also like -

4. AdBlock Extension
5. Google Chrome to Phone Extension
6. Send from Gmail Extension

IMO dump Outlook and don't look back. it's 2010.

good luck.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
You are looking in the wrong forum.

You should be digging thru Gmail forums on google or Outlook forums for contact sync. The android will take care of itself if you turn sync on.
But people here might not use outlook that much.

jetalc

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I actually use a program named gSyncIt. I think it's about $10 or so - works very well, and I have one computer with Outlook 2007, Win 7 64-bit, and my wife bought a second license for her Droid X, running Vista 32-bit, and Outlook 2007. It is automatic, and syncs automatically with the contacts (2-way sync) and the calendar (2-way). Perfect solution for us.

Last edited:

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
But people here might not use outlook that much.
There are plenty of Outlook users on all the Android forum sites that I frequent (including this one). Haven't used it myself but gsyncit is frequently recommended. However, IIRC, it actually syncs Outlook with a Google account which, in turn, syncs with the Android device.

What does 2010 have to do with anything? Some people find Outlook useful or prefer it and the year has nothing to do with it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of Outlook users on all the Android forum sites that I frequent (including this one). Haven't used it myself but gsyncit is frequently recommended. However, IIRC, it actually syncs Outlook with a Google account which, in turn, syncs with the Android device.

What does 2010 have to do with anything? Some people find Outlook useful or prefer it and the year has nothing to do with it.

it's almost 2011. the world has moved away from that silly local PC sync will those silly wires and sync buttons. now everything is on the cloud and gets automagically installed, synchronized, and backed up. now stop being silly and get with the times before you get left behind or become extinct like the dinosaurs.

good luck.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
it's almost 2011. the world has moved away from that silly local PC sync will those silly wires and sync buttons. now everything is on the cloud and gets automagically installed, synchronized, and backed up. now stop being silly and get with the times before you get left behind or become extinct like the dinosaurs.

good luck.

Suggestions, rather than commands and ridicule might be better received if you are really trying to pursuade.

rajones19

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm researching this issue also, and there is another app called gSyncIt (not the same product as gSync) which looks promising. It costs a little more - $14.99 per license - but to me that's a small price to pay to get this mission fully accomplished. I haven't yet tried it, but it appears quite full featured. It claims to sync Calendars, Contacts, Notes and Tasks.

I am not completely married to Outlook, and last weekend installed Mozilla's Thunderbird email client. I found a plug-in to allow it to sync with gMail Contacts, and also an app to allow easy access my gMail Calendars, but now this gSyncIt has me thinking of giving Outlook one more chance. I wonder if will allow me to have contacts sorted by Last name instead of First name - a huge failing on my Droid X...

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

good luck.
This gets bandied about and I completely disagree with it. What is the relevance of the year to this situation? Contrary to what you posted as your personal opinion the world has not moved away from "that silly local PC sync will those silly wires and sync buttons". If everything is being synced in the cloud then how do you explain this problem? We can already do it with calendar entries, so why not contacts and notes?

There are times when you want to speed and easy accessibility of your contacts on your PC. For instance you are going ot use your land line or you need to quickly look up a contacts info. Or say you are in a location where you do not have an internet connection and need to look up a contact or compose an email and queue it until you do have a connection. A lot of us still use Outlook for email for pop3. Sure you can do a one time export of your Outlook contacts, but people get a new contact while on the road and want to add that contact to outlook. Right now if they want to do so they are SOL. It has nothing to do with getting with the times.

The inability in the Android OS to sync with desktop Outlook for contacts and notes is pure arrogance and a way for Google to say piss off to MS.

As for syncing options, they have been posted here. gSyncit and Companion link. Both are not 100% reliable and in the case of Companion Link, its pretty danged expensive.

casperinmd

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
GsyncIt. I bought it a year ago, lots of updates to fix issues, works very well and is extremely flexible.

ie, i use it to:
Sync Outlook contacts to Gmail
Sync Outlook calendar to Gmail
Sync my wife's shared gmail calendar to a second calendar in outlook.

You can do any combination of whatever you want.

http://www.daveswebsite.com/purchase_home.shtml
2 licenses for $15..and it is a very stable app IMO, and works up to Outlook 2010 as well.

DenQ

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I actually use a program named gSyncIt. I think it's about $10 or so - works very well, and I have one computer with Outlook 2007, Win 7 64-bit, and my wife bought a second license for her Droid X, running Vista 32-bit, and Outlook 2007. It is automatic, and syncs automatically with the contacts (2-way sync) and the calendar (2-way). Perfect solution for us.
I am also using gSyncit and trying to get it to take all my Outlook contact notes into my droid phone (LG Ally). Did you find a way for gSyncit to take more than 10 lines of text from the contact notes area? Apparently there a limit of 16kb that Gmail will allow to come over in the contact notes area. Is there a way to increase this 16kb ?

socal sxt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Companion link works perfect, I would call them and see if there is a deal on 2 licenses. I use windows 7 and outlook 2007 with an htc Incredible and i was using the htc sync with a cable. It also lets you sync notes along with calendar and contacts and it keeps them all synced.

jetalc

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I am also using gSyncit and trying to get it to take all my Outlook contact notes into my droid phone (LG Ally). Did you find a way for gSyncit to take more than 10 lines of text from the contact notes area? Apparently there a limit of 16kb that Gmail will allow to come over in the contact notes area. Is there a way to increase this 16kb ?

I haven't run into that limitation yet, but I don't have that much in the way of notes on any of my contacts, though. Will play around with it and see if I have that same limitation...

aubiker

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
For contacts - try soocial.com. It's free for the first 200 contacts and up to 3 connections. Sync it with your gmail contacts then sync to outlook. Use Google Calendar Sync to sycn outlook to your google calendar. Works great for me. . . . and you can't beat the cost - FREE!