Network Monitor

laney12186

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
With my data plan, I'm allowed 5G each month which I know is quite a lot. I wanted to keep track of it so I did a search in the market and downloaded Network Monitor. It shows me a screen that shows me how much data I've used but I'm not sure I understand what it means. It's got 3 columns: up, down, and all. In the up section it says I've used 760kb, down 4.16MB, and all 4.92. Do I just keep track of the up section? It seems crazy that I could use 4.92MB in data in one night. I was just looking for something that would keep track of how much data I used in one month so I could monitor it. Is there something else that I could be using?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I use 3G Watchdog to monitor the same info. It is going to depend on how your carrier calculates usage. If they only monitor downloads, then you don't need to worry about the combined total.

It's best to look at the combined total and use that number until your monthly bill comes in. Then you can compare the usage numbers from you phone to your bill.

4MB is not a lot of usage. If you aren't using wifi, you can use up several MB throughout the day, especially if you are checking out new things. With 5GB per month, you would have to use more than 165MB each day to go over your limit.

Reactions: laney12186

laney12186

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I'll have to check out that other app. I guess it just seemed like a lot to me because I'd only been monitoring it for about a half hour. I'm not sure how uscc calculates their data usage. Guess I'll just wait and see

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked with your carrier if they have an app or other way to track their view of your network usage?

Since they charge you by whatever they measure, it will be the most meaningful number.