Outlook on Android, Exchange contacts show up as phone contacts ?

DavidinCT

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I installed Outlook on my LG G3, got my Exchange server and Hotmail account setup. I disabled the accounts on the default email program on google (why have mail syncing 2 times on one device ?)

So, now, I see that my contacts on my phone are gone, as I use my person contacts on the Exchange server. When I go and setup the contacts in the phone program, It does not list Outlook or exchange as an option. I see all my contacts file in outlook.

Now do I get my contacts in Outlook (from exchange) to populate the phone so I can use them for dialing etc ? Is there a way to make this work ?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Now do I get my contacts in Outlook (from exchange) to populate the phone so I can use them for dialing etc ? Is there a way to make this work ?

Unless this updated recently, I don't think Outlook contacts sync to device contacts. I know that this was the case a few months ago. You would have to use the built in email app or the Gmail app.

I use the Outlook app on my Nexus 7 for my work account, but I like the Gmail app better. It works great since native Exchange support was added awhile ago.

One workaround would be to use the email app, as you were, but disable the email sync.

I have all my contacts in my Google account, so I cannot say for sure what the current situation is. Probably someone else here can. Although, most Android users probably have their contacts in their Google account.

DavidinCT

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Unless this updated recently, I don't think Outlook contacts sync to device contacts. I know that this was the case a few months ago. You would have to use the built in email app or the Gmail app.

One workaround would be to use the email app, as you were, but disable the email sync.

I have all my contacts in my Google account, so I cannot say for sure what the current situation is. Probably someone else here can. Although, most Android users probably have their contacts in their Google account.
Thanks !

I'm a Windows Phone guy and I grabbed this phone for a good price, I wanted to give Android a solid shot, with all the bashing going on, I want to know for myself and see if I like it better than WP. I live in a Microsoft/Exchange server world, so I need to access this.

I guess if I want to stick with Outlook, I will have to create a sync with Exchange to just sync contacts and set it to sync at the longest range... Hate needing to do 2 apps to do contacts on the phone, it kind of defets the point of a new email client...

Also I noticed today that I will get notifications for new emails on my LG phone but, on my Pebble Watch they dont show up... but using google app they do...interesting...

I do like the Outook app but, with out these working I might have to use the google app....

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I use the Outlook app on my Nexus 7 for my work account, but I like the Gmail app better. It works great since native Exchange support was added awhile ago.

I also installed Outlook when contacts did not sync, so I used Google for my contacts. I likewise have no idea if that changed.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I also installed Outlook when contacts did not sync, so I used Google for my contacts. I likewise have no idea if that changed.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

I can understand a PC with Outlook and not having contacts all over the place but, on a Phone ? What is the point of a PIM if you cant access the content everywhere? It turns it from a true PIM to a app... and if that is all that can be done, it's a fail in my eyes...

Oh, well it seems I dont have a choice now...and I had a LOT of hope for this app....

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Windows Phone guy and I grabbed this phone for a good price, I wanted to give Android a solid shot, with all the bashing going on, I want to know for myself and see if I like it better than WP. I live in a Microsoft/Exchange server world, so I need to access this.

Yes I'm on Windows Central as well, so I know who you are! :) I primarily use Android, but mainly due to functionality. I am just as interested in WP.

I understand you wanting to use Microsoft's apps on Android, but in the case of Outlook there's little, if any, reason to use it. The Gmail app natively supports Exchange, and as far as I know, its features as well. I'm not an Exchange/Outlook power user, but so far I haven't come across any Exchange features that the Outlook app has that Gmail doesn't.

In short, AFAIK you will not be sacrificing anything functionally by using the Gmail app rather than the Outlook app.