Launcher Pro vs. GO Launcher EX

jesamyn

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I used LPP for quite a long time and loved it. When I updated to CM 7 RC1, I started having a lot of trouble with it force closing or lagging. I switched to Go Launcher Ex and haven't had trouble with it. It's fast and has many of the same options as LPP. I miss the calendar widget, but I'm getting by with the Colorize agenda widget atm. I'll probably wind up getting Pure Grid at some point.

anon(67326)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I really like Go Launcher EX since it's free, fast and really customizable. I also liked how they updated their security permissions to make the app less intrusive. BTW, I just noticed they've updated yet again today - V2.13

I briefly tried ADW and hated it. I also liked a lot of the original Sense widgets which of course don't work with Go. So, being the cheap bastard I am I found the following free widgets that look/act similar or better than the originals;

dazzle (customizable power bar/toggle switch, no 4G toggle though)
agenda widget (calendar)
fancy widget (clock/weather)

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Still on LPP. I tried GoLauncher and liked it but never had the time to customize it so I'm still on LPP. I just need a few hours to make things my way.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've used Launcher Pro for a long time now on my DInc, and have had essentially zero problems with it. For the hell of it, I downloaded Go Launcher EX and from what I can tell, it's almost identical to Launcher Pro except it doesn't have the widgets (the calendar widget on LP is fantastic). No reason to switch, I'll stick with Launcher Pro.

IkariWarrior

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I've found Colorize Widget to be a great free equivalent to the LPP/Sense widgets. The only problem I'm having with Go Launcher is with scrollable widgets, the left/right sensitivity is too high. Even the slightest degree of movement off a straight up and down motion causes a page turn. It's not a problem with LLP or ADW.

Go EX is the first launcher on my Droid X that doesn't cause random reboots several times a day.

Reactions: sportscout

solarus

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Android newbie just over from Palm (Central)...First thing I did was try out all the launchers and must admit, Go Launcher is my favorite, especially for a recent convert from webOS. The ability to move icons around and paginate the launcher pages, organizing them into distinct pages along the way makes for a great transition launcher for us ex-Palm folks. The folders are pretty cool too, even if they are a direct rip off of iOS. I would take Go Launcher over LPP any day. LPP wasn't slow or anything at least for me it just didn't feel different enough from stock and was kind of a blah experience from a user point of view.

Saying that I just moved to ADW+ at least for the time being. I like it but I must say I miss being able to put folders on the launcher - the Catalog Groups just aren't the same. As good as Go Launcher is I'm not a fan of the transparent gray overlay on the launcher ("trans. black please") and the green highlights are too "slimy green" for my liking. 2 pretty minor annoyances when you really think about it ;). I'm not uninstalling Go Launcher just yet, updates with a black overlay and a theme I actually like would get me back in two shakes of a lambs tail.

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I own both LPP and ADW EX but have never tried GOLauncher. I first bought ADW EX and had been using it exclusively, when I decided to go with my honeycomb theme I was interested in the LPP honeycomb themed widgets so I purchased plus and gave it a shot.

My opinion is while the LPP Widgets are amazing I experience freezing and slow Downs never experienced with ADW EX, thing is I'm addicted to the LPP Widgets now and I can't give it up lol. Does anyone know Widgets similar to the opposite Widgets?

I really hope ADW EX comes out with similar Widgets, LPP copied ADW transitions so ADW should do the same with Widgets lol.

IkariWarrior

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Colorize Widget on the market is free and is exactly like the LPP widgets, I use them on both ADW and GO and they are great. It includes Facebook, Twitter, Agenda, Bookmarks, and many more.

Reactions: Finsol

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Colorize Widget on the market is free and is exactly like the LPP widgets, I use them on both ADW and GO and they are great. It includes Facebook, Twitter, Agenda, Bookmarks, and many more.

Awesome ill give them a shot today, thanks :)

Edit:

Uninstalled LPP and reinstalled ADW EX & colorize Widgets, all I've gotta say is WOW! Colorize Widgets is awesome to say the least now I can enjow ADW and have my lpp style Widgets too. Can't wait for pro to be released ill definitely be purchasing it to support the dev!

Last edited:

sportscout

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I got tired of the hourly LP crashes. So then I tried ADW, and Go. I'm really impressed with Go – ADW does not have a scrollable dock. I really, really miss the clean look of the friends/calendar widget from LP. Thinking of trying Executive Assistant app if I can stomach the $7.

csierra72

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Decided to try Go Launcher yesterday after finding this thread. I really like it a lot and it does seem to be a bit quicker. I had only used LPP since EVO launch day.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I barely get LPP force close anymore. I shut off auto-rotation and it has improved. Also I have a cache cleaner that runs in the middle of the night and no issues for me. I'll stick with LPP for now.

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried LP and Go. LP annoyed me because it made my motorola contact widgets look strangely unformatted. That, and I couldn't close it. Go made the widgets look better, and it has an "EXIT" option! Also it lets me resize widgets for free.

Neither of the two allow me to set the margins for the sides of the screens, though, which annoys me because i don't want all my apps / widgets / icons going to the very edges of the screens.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I tried LP and Go. LP annoyed me because it made my motorola contact widgets look strangely unformatted. That, and I couldn't close it. Go made the widgets look better, and it has an "EXIT" option! Also it lets me resize widgets for free.

Neither of the two allow me to set the margins for the sides of the screens, though, which annoys me because i don't want all my apps / widgets / icons going to the very edges of the screens.

LauncherPro does not support any manufacturer specific widgets (ex. Motoblur, sense etc....) so you may need to look for an alternative widget in the market to replace the Motorola ones that you use.

As for the margins issue, this can be done. It isn't the exact thing that you are looking for but it may be good enough. You can adjust the grid of the home-screens. Instead of having setup as 4 x 4, you can set it up as 6 x 6 or 7 x 7 and just mess around with the widget sizes a bit in order to get them to fit the way you want with space on the side of the screen as well. The only problem with increasing the grid is that icons are not stretchable. This will cause smaller icons on your home-screen.

MrLee

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried LauncherPro and Launcher GO EX too.

I have to say, Launcher GO EX does feel snappier than LauncherPro for the same exact layouts and wallpaper I have..minus the LauncherPro-specific widgets.

Only reason I stayed with LauncherPro is because of the widgets, and supporting the dev...I use the calendar and facebook widget.

Not a huge facebook user, so the widget fits my use well. That's my only facebook-related thing on the phone anyway.
Though the dev is re-writting LauncherPro from scratch, but it's still a work in progress. read this on his own website/blog.

If it's not for the widgets, I'd go with Launcher Go EX. Both are great in their on right.

Last edited:

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I Prefer LP+ I like the customizable Launch pad shortcuts, I am not one to clutter my screens with shortcuts so the launch dock keep so everything nice and clean, I can upload my own Linux & Pre icons for my most used apps

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have tried Launcher Pro, Go Launcher EX, ADW Launcher EX, and a handful of others.

My favorite by far is ADW. It just has more customization options and I really like the large selection of themes available for it.

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
This

I've used Launcher Pro for a long time now on my DInc, and have had essentially zero problems with it. For the hell of it, I downloaded Go Launcher EX and from what I can tell, it's almost identical to Launcher Pro except it doesn't have the widgets (the calendar widget on LP is fantastic). No reason to switch, I'll stick with Launcher Pro.

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had LPP since I got my Dinc2. I'm still messing with it to get it nice and smooth and pretty to my liking. I just downloaded GO Launcher just to give it a try. It's free. If it sucks, I'll just uninstall it.

I'll chime in with my opinion on GO most likely in a few days so I can dig deep into its customization features.

I have noticed LPP to kind of lag at times but I'm planning on changing some of the settings I have with it to try to smooth her out.

Stay tuned! :eek: