UPDATE: Galaxy S6 now working with Android Auto!

Dave Isser

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S6 and Android Auto (not working yet ...)

I did find this on the Android Auto website today:
"Android Auto is not currently supported on the Samsung Galaxy S5 for Verizon Wireless customers in the U.S. Google is working with Samsung on compatibility and will announce an update when the issue is resolved. "
I would have assumed that they would have fixed this in time for the GS6 launch though...

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site

I was reading this forum and I believe it is something with lollipop and pioneer radios. I have the LG g3 with Verizon. I was previously running kit kat with no issues. I'm now running a leaked version of lollipop, of which there have been 3 different versions, and with each I have not been able to stream music via Bluetooth with my avh x4600bt. I was hoping that the issue would have been resolved with newer pioneer radios and 2015 smartphones but it sounds like that is not the case.

Posted via Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

We're talking about Android Auto, the in development trying to partner with various automotive companies? (android.com/auto/)

This isn't even fully supported or available yet so why would this be a make or break it deal when considering the GS6 as your phone? I get if maybe another phone worked but again, this is still in development so it could be more of a place holder on Samsung's part no? With a update in the future maybe?

Except it is fully supported and available.

Posted via the Android Central App

cstam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

It was pretty disappointing coming from my M8 where it worked great with my 4100NEX to the G6. I hope they fix this ASAP.

Does it work with upgraded GS5s?

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

It was pretty disappointing coming from my M8 where it worked great with my 4100NEX to the G6. I hope they fix this ASAP.

Does it work with upgraded GS5s?

Not if you are using a Verizon GS5. And even then, the voice control isn't working on them. Google has noted this and is working on a fix. Hopefully, that will also bring the GS6s into the fold.

Dave Isser

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

Just an update, this weekend I tried upgrading the firmware on the Pioneer to 1.03, but still no luck. Has anyone had any luck talking to someone on the Pioneer end?

Dave Isser

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

Just got off the phone with Pioneer, and he confirmed that they have not been able to get the GS6 to work with the Pioneer NEX systems. He said the issue though has to do with Samsung not being able to run Android Auto and so the issue is on their end. So basically we have to wait for Google and Samsung to figure this out. Perhaps if we all email...

Antagonist_Prime

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

Just an update.
I purchased an S6 specifically for Android Auto, but no luck. I had thought the issue was something to do with Samsung phones (as the Nexus 6 and HTC M9 had no issues connecting). I upgraded to the S6 from a Galaxy Note 3 (prior to lollipop update becoming available).
I installed the OTA update for Lollipop last night on the Note 3 just out of curiosity. I plugged it into the head unit (Pioneer 4100 NEX), and it installed almost instantly and everything worked perfectly including voice control (which I head the S5 was having issues with???). Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that the OTA update on the Note 3 works perfectly, so the issue must not be touchwiz (as I left it intact just to test). I normally use Nova launcher and tested with it installed as well...it also works flawlessly. Maybe a simple S6 firmware issue? Go figure.:eek:

Note: There had been some speculation about what the cause of the S6 not working was. Here are a few thing that did NOT happen when I plugged the phone in, and a few things I observed.

1. Hands free or "car mode" did NOT activate when I plugged the phone in, nor did it activate at any time while the phone was connected.
2. There was no issue with Bluetooth connectivity. Voice works and all data from phone book was available. As for calling, full caller photo on screen along with phone controls you would expect (like dial pad option and mute)
3. Choice of launcher had no effect. I tried touchwiz, nova and Buzz. All worked just fine.
4. I tried 3 different cables. 2 standard white samsung cables and one aftermarket with the ferrite (sp) core attached to the end. All seemed to work exactly the same.
5. Phone continued to charge properly with all 3 cables. This testing took just over an hour and the phone did not heat up during this time.
6. There were no issues during connection or disconnection of the phone. I even tried unplugging it during active processes (like pulling up traffic, music and making a call). The head unit simply returned to it's normal screen almost instantly, and reconnected without issue when reconnected.

Let me know if you have any questions about what was done or observed.

Last edited:

cbryancan

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

It sounds like we are all having roughly the same problems, though it manifests a little differently sometimes. For me, when I plug the GS6 into my 4100NEX, the phone launches android auto and goes through the setup process (just like it did when I first attached my Moto X). But then the head unit goes to this:

20150413_100820.jpg

Meanwhile, as far as the phone knows, everything is fine. It shows that it is connected. I get the android auto splash screen that locks everything out. Even when I unplug android auto, the phone still thinks its attached. Here is what the notifications shade looks like AFTER unplugging from the head unit.

Screenshot_2015-04-13-10-08-52.jpg

What I really DON'T want to have to deal with is Samsung having to push this update through the carriers and it taking months. I'll tolerate simple bluetooth for a while, but I am not going to be happy if I have to wait more than a few weeks for this to work.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

It sounds like we are all having roughly the same problems, though it manifests a little differently sometimes. For me, when I plug the GS6 into my 4100NEX, the phone launches android auto and goes through the setup process (just like it did when I first attached my Moto X). But then the head unit goes to this:

Meanwhile, as far as the phone knows, everything is fine. It shows that it is connected. I get the android auto splash screen that locks everything out. Even when I unplug android auto, the phone still thinks its attached. Here is what the notifications shade looks like AFTER unplugging from the head unit.

What I really DON'T want to have to deal with is Samsung having to push this update through the carriers and it taking months. I'll tolerate simple bluetooth for a while, but I am not going to be happy if I have to wait more than a few weeks for this to work.

Yep. That's exactly what I'm seeing. :|

dgwood12

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm curious...those who are having the problem, did you install the head unit with a microbypass? I doubt it would have an effect but just wanted to know...

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Just an update.
I purchased an S6 specifically for Android Auto, but no luck. I had thought the issue was something to do with Samsung phones (as the Nexus 6 and HTC M9 had no issues connecting). I upgraded to the S6 from a Galaxy Note 3 (prior to lollipop update becoming available).
I installed the OTA update for Lollipop last night on the Note 3 just out of curiosity. I plugged it into the head unit (Pioneer 4100 NEX), and it installed almost instantly and everything worked perfectly including voice control (which I head the S5 was having issues with???). Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that the OTA update on the Note 3 works perfectly, so the issue must not be touchwiz (as I left it intact just to test). I normally use Nova launcher and tested with it installed as well...it also works flawlessly. Maybe a simple S6 firmware issue? Go figure.:eek:

Note: There had been some speculation about what the cause of the S6 not working was. Here are a few thing that did NOT happen when I plugged the phone in, and a few things I observed.

1. Hands free or "car mode" did NOT activate when I plugged the phone in, nor did it activate at any time while the phone was connected.
2. There was no issue with Bluetooth connectivity. Voice works and all data from phone book was available. As for calling, full caller photo on screen along with phone controls you would expect (like dial pad option and mute)
3. Choice of launcher had no effect. I tried touchwiz, nova and Buzz. All worked just fine.
4. I tried 3 different cables. 2 standard white samsung cables and one aftermarket with the ferrite (sp) core attached to the end. All seemed to work exactly the same.
5. Phone continued to charge properly with all 3 cables. This testing took just over an hour and the phone did not heat up during this time.
6. There were no issues during connection or disconnection of the phone. I even tried unplugging it during active processes (like pulling up traffic, music and making a call). The head unit simply returned to it's normal screen almost instantly, and reconnected without issue when reconnected.

Let me know if you have any questions about what was done or observed.

What carrier are you on?

Dave Isser

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

I don't suppose anyone has tried installing the OTA update on the GS6? or talking to anyone at Samsung?

cbryancan

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm curious...those who are having the problem, did you install the head unit with a microbypass? I doubt it would have an effect but just wanted to know...

I didn't use a microbypass per se. I just wired the green parking brake wire directly to chassis ground. It worked fine and does not address this issue.

Antagonist_Prime

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

What carrier are you on?
I am on Sprint.

In addition to what the previous poster noticed, I also had the issue (when using the S6) that once I unplugged the phone from the head unit, I no longer had any audio until I rebooted the phone or let it sit several minutes. There were no notification sounds nor would any media (8 tracks, mp3, milk) produce any audio. The phone could still be called, but it would not ring for several minutes after disconnecting it. The Note 3 does not suffer any of those problems so far.

In regard to the micro bypass...odd that you should ask that. Originally I did install the bypass, but removed it thinking it might have something to do with the problem. The S6 did not work in either configuration. I also tried enabling developer options and turning on USB debugging. No joy with any of it.

I don't suppose anyone has tried installing the OTA update on the GS6? or talking to anyone at Samsung?
If you mean the OTA that was waiting immediately after activation of the phone, they yes. I did install the updates without a change. I also tried pre and post firmware update on the head unit without success (update was supposed to increase compatibility).

Last edited:

cbryancan

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

I am on Sprint.

In addition to what the previous poster noticed, I also had the issue (when using the S6) that once I unplugged the phone from the head unit, I no longer had any audio until I rebooted the phone or let it sit several minutes. There were no notification sounds nor would any media (8 tracks, mp3, milk) produce any audio. The phone could still be called, but it would not ring for several minutes after disconnecting it. The Note 3 does not suffer any of those problems so far.

I believe the phone still thinks its attached via bluetooth, so it's sending the audio out that way. On Android Auto, audio streams over bluetooth, not USB. I would guess that simply cycling the bluetooth would fix that. Though I don't plan on regularly attempting the Android Auto now that I know it doesn't work, so it shouldn't be necessary often.

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

I am on Sprint.

Hmmm. I have a note 3 on ATT updated to lollipop and lost my voice actions over Bluetooth with my pioneer avh-x5500bhs...worked fine on kit Kat. Hooked my note 3 up to a 4100nex at an audio store and android auto worked fine but they didn't have the mic hooked up so I don't know if the voice actions worked or not. Don't really want to spend the money on the nex if the voice actions aren't working. Gives me a slight bit of hope since yours worked.

Antagonist_Prime

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

I believe the phone still thinks its attached via bluetooth, so it's sending the audio out that way. On Android Auto, audio streams over bluetooth, not USB. I would guess that simply cycling the bluetooth would fix that. Though I don't plan on regularly attempting the Android Auto now that I know it doesn't work, so it shouldn't be necessary often.
Yes, the phone does think it is still attached (as the Android Auto screen has to be manually dismissed). As for the bluetooth audio, the bluetooth audio mode can be selected on the head unit and there is still no audio. I did try cycling the bluetooth, and it made a "pop" when it reconnected, but still took roughly 2 minutes before it started being audible on its own (a warm or cold reboot fixes it as well).

...Don't really want to spend the money on the nex if the voice actions aren't working. Gives me a slight bit of hope since yours worked.
If there is anything specific you would like for me to test I am willing to do that so that you have more information to go on. If so, just let me know.

I returned the S6 since the note is working fine. I guess I will wait on the Note 5, which hopefully will work and just be an improved S6 on steroids, LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch