Getting Android Auto in a 2015 Corvette?

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm planning on getting a 2016 Corvette. Now I know they have that MyLink junk as I have it in my current car - a Camaro. But the vette's MyLink is a newer version. Now I've rented a few C7 Stingrays mostly to drive them and check out features to see how they've improved the car. And I had played with the new MyLink but not enough to really get to know it.

But really I think I'd rather go with Android Auto. How do you do that after market thing? I assume it's required to get a head unit that supports AA and I don't think MyLink does. If so, what's a good head unit to buy? One thing I'm pretty sure I will lose is that the MyLink radio in the vette will put up turn directions in the head's up display of the vette. I assume that's pretty proprietary to Chevy and no aftermarket head unit will be able to do that. Head's up displays are not only in vette - my Camaro has it too. So anybody with experience with that will be appreciated.

Also, I believe my current phone, Galaxy Note 3, is not supported. The Play store says my device is not support to download AA. I had been thinking of getting a new phone and I like the Galaxy S6 Edge but it is kinda small (compared to the Note 3 that is) so I'm thinking of holding out for the Note 5 which I think comes in the summer. Will the Note 5 support AA?

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Right Now I think the only shipping aftermarket units are by Pioneer (AVH-4100NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, and AVIC-8100NEX). They are nice... and they supposedly support iDataLink. If the HUD in the vette runs under this protocol you may be able to save it, but I doubt the Google Maps in AA will support it (AA API's are pretty bare boned at this point), but the dedicated NAV in the 7100 and 8100 might.

You really need to contact an installer that really knows what he is doing before you jump.

With all that said, AA is in it's infancy at this point and I really don't think the limited API's they have for messaging and audio playback makes one worth all the bother you're considering. Wait a year for Google to flush it out, and we'll most likely have better HU's available then too.

anon(835884)

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have 2014 Stingray and there's no way I'd ever consider putting an aftermarket head unit in it. Stuck a 4100 in my 14 Malibu it it was a pain in the ***. Actually I'm at the install shop not for the third time. I don't even want to think about the gremlins I'd find attempting this on my vette...

Give it time - I'm sure someone will come out with a better aftermarket Android auto solution.

1429998004645-842235187.jpg

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by "a better aftermarket Android auto solution". You're only beef seemed to be that it was hard to install. Maybe you meant something else but "pain in the ***" is not very descriptive. Did it work well? If not why not? What didn't work? What did you want to work better? Etc.

anon(835884)

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by "a better aftermarket Android auto solution". You're only beef seemed to be that it was hard to install. Maybe you meant something else but "pain in the ***" is not very descriptive. Did it work well? If not why not? What didn't work? What did you want to work better? Etc.

Sorry, I literally replied to your post at the install shop and was kinda rushed. With newer cars swapping radios it always seems like you lose "something" - a feature, a control, an adjustment etc etc. In regards to my '13 Malibu I lost the ability to adjust alarm and light controls and some other odds and ends. It's not the end of the world but it can be really aggravating...

Now jumping to your '15 Vette I can almost guarantee you're going to lose a lot swapping the MyLink for Android Auto. After using Android Auto for a few months now in my Malibu I wouldn't dream of putting one in my '13 Vette - Android Auto is cool and all but it's not worth it (yet?) in my opinion. Also I'm pretty sure MyLink connects to the Driver Information Center (instrument panel) so when swapping radios I think its safe to assume you're going to lose some customization and God knows what else. If we were talking about an older C5, an Android Auto swap would be a a no-brainer but we're taking about a $60k+ sports car that already has kick *** tech installed ...