You know what's annoying?

RMThompson

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

That whenever you ask questions about froyo or a Verizon update, people respond with:

"Who cares, I've got _________ running on my _________ with a blahblahblah."

The simple truth is that many of us don't feel comfortable with rooting or flashing our phones. I prefer to wait for an actual release, so please, if I or someone else asks a question about it, please don't respond with "I already have it" unless you've recently relieved OTA from Verizon. lol

/rant

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

That whenever you ask questions about froyo or a Verizon update, people respond with:

"Who cares, I've got _________ running on my _________ with a blahblahblah."

The simple truth is that many of us don't feel comfortable with rooting or flashing our phones. I prefer to wait for an actual release, so please, if I or someone else asks a question about it, please don't respond with "I already have it" unless you've recently relieved OTA from Verizon. lol

/rant

you know what else is annoying. people who dont want to root thier phone and help themselves and then complain about not having froyo and post # 8532574500001855020526546459864806546405 "wheres froyo" thread and then complain when some says they already have froyo.

if you dont want to root, fine, quit wining about not having froyo and for the love of all thats good, STOP MAKING THESE STUPID THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Now Mike, let's play nice...

Not everyone is tech savvy or comfortable doing this kind of stuff. And I think those people have a legitiment gripe. Froyo has been available to the manufacturers for almost a year now, and this device has been on the market for five months now. It shouldn't take this long.

Granted, there is so much more available to those who do root and flash custom ROMs, but you shouldn't have to do that in order to unlock the potential of a great device.

cabjmb

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't you think though that when the update is released, it'll be posted all over the front page of every android related tech site? These threads are pretty pointless...

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I know for myself, I look in the mods hacks etc section, and am overwhelmed. I understand that there are how to's and tutorials and I have no issue w/ learning how to do it. If pushed into it, I will root my phone, but I don't want to unless it is a last case scenario. It is just simply something I do not want to do. Some reasons I choose not to are:

1.) a new version/update for certain roms comes out often. If this is accurate..I don't want to dedicate myself to worrying about fixes for my phone every other week.

2.) I'm not really sure what I am switching to. There x number of versions...which is what and what's the difference? Instead of lashing out at those of us who wait for OTA's...you could try and make kind suggestions based on your vast knowledge.

3.) Many of us don't have a need to be able to control our phones as much rooting offers. We just need what the phone to do, what the phone was intended to do from the manufacturer (simply run the most recent OS w/ the stuff that verizon, att, and sprint put on there as well).

The people that wait for OTA's care about their phones just as much as those who root. Just because our concerns don't fall in line with your beliefs which you feel are superior, doesn't give you the right to come down on the OP's concerns. The "I already have Froyo - why don't you?!" is really getting old. Simply because you choose to follow another avenue for receiving your updates doesn't give you a free pass to make snide remarks to those who are truly concerned, and tell them (paraphrased) to shut up and root.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
1.) a new version/update for certain roms comes out often. If this is accurate..I don't want to dedicate myself to worrying about fixes for my phone every other week.

2.) I'm not really sure what I am switching to. There x number of versions...which is what and what's the difference? Instead of lashing out at those of us who wait for OTA's...you could try and make kind suggestions based on your vast knowledge.

That's the beauty of it. If you don't want those roms, then you don't have to use them. There is a fully bloated copy of Froyo EB01 there that you can use as your daily driver and not have to worry about developer updates. The process may look overwhelming but there are people that will help you through it and there's usually someone available all hours of the day.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I know for myself, I look in the mods hacks etc section, and am overwhelmed. I understand that there are how to's and tutorials and I have no issue w/ learning how to do it. If pushed into it, I will root my phone, but I don't want to unless it is a last case scenario. It is just simply something I do not want to do. Some reasons I choose not to are:

3.) Many of us don't have a need to be able to control our phones as much rooting offers. We just need what the phone to do, what the phone was intended to do from the manufacturer (simply run the most recent OS w/ the stuff that verizon, att, and sprint put on there as well).

The people that wait for OTA's care about their phones just as much as those who root. Just because our concerns don't fall in line with your beliefs which you feel are superior, doesn't give you the right to come down on the OP's concerns. The "I already have Froyo - why don't you?!" is really getting old. Simply because you choose to follow another avenue for receiving your updates doesn't give you a free pass to make snide remarks to those who are truly concerned, and tell them (paraphrased) to shut up and root.

if you dont want to root then dont. i dont feel superior, though its apparent that you do, i just feel like a guy who helped himself when his phone company wouldnt. i also feel like the guy who helps dozens of other poeple every day with thier phone. if you dont believe me just ask. that doesnt make me feel superior it makes me feel greatful. lots of really helpful folks helped me through my first brick, so i give back.

but these forums are littered with these stupid threads. this thread isnt helpful, its annoying. is it screwed up that there isnt an official froyo release? yes. but wining to us here does no good. wine to vzw or sammy.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
you know what else is annoying. people who dont want to root thier phone and help themselves and then complain about not having froyo and post # 8532574500001855020526546459864806546405 "wheres froyo" thread and then complain when some says they already have froyo.

if you dont want to root, fine, quit wining about not having froyo and for the love of all thats good, STOP MAKING THESE STUPID THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, how condescending. These forums are supposed to be helpful, and hopefully respectful to members asking questions who need help. I feel exactly as the OP does many times. I also am not comfortable rooting, but still have questions. I too see many, many "Just root and do XYZ" responses to simple questions. I just don't see the need to assume everyone wants to do the same things with their phone, or that everyone has the same level of confidence and expertise.

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
That's the beauty of it. If you don't want those roms, then you don't have to use them. There is a fully bloated copy of Froyo EB01 there that you can use as your daily driver and not have to worry about developer updates. The process may look overwhelming but there are people that will help you through it and there's usually someone available all hours of the day.

I agree with you, and see the beauty in it. I simply do not want take that next step in using my phone. Many people, on many other networks, with many other phones (who have my stance on rooting) have not had to take that next step.

We shouldn't have to be made to feel bad because we've been forced to wait months longer than most all others. Can we remedy our own situation?..yes. But we shouldn't have to, and those people who have remedied their situation (not you, but other posters) should not be so shortsighted to treat us OTA folks like a menace.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you, and see the beauty in it. I simply do not want take that next step in using my phone. Many people, on many other networks, with many other phones (who have my stance on rooting) have not had to take that next step.

We shouldn't have to be made to feel bad because we've been forced to wait months longer than most all others. Can we remedy our own situation?..yes. But we shouldn't have to, and those people who have remedied their situation (not you, but other posters) should not be so shortsighted to treat us OTA folks like a menace.

if this was the first thread, it would be different. there a dozens and dozens of such threads here and on most other forums along the same lines. it gets old. we get it, vzw and sammy are jerks. i agree. you shouldnt have to wait. but you do.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow, how condescending. These forums are supposed to be helpful, and hopefully respectful to members asking questions who need help. I feel exactly as the OP does many times. I also am not comfortable rooting, but still have questions. I too see many, many "Just root and do XYZ" responses to simple questions. I just don't see the need to assume everyone wants to do the same things with their phone, or that everyone has the same level of confidence and expertise.

not helpful???? he didnt ask for help!!!!!! he is wining!!!! there is nothing anyone here can to do to make vzw release 2.2. NOTHING!!! he didnt ask for help, if he did i would have helped him, because thats what i do, that what almost everyone here is here to do. not the op, nope, hes just here to wine.

Reactions: gspeed

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
but these forums are littered with these stupid threads. this thread isnt helpful, its annoying.

I know you help a dozen people a day, as to why i was surprised to see such a lashing out by you on this thread.

Does this thread/topic belong somewhere else? Yes. But just cause you are a big time member who helps a bunch of folks, doesn't mean you can rip down the OP's statements like that.

The OP voiced something that I fully agree with. He didn't whine about FROYO. He whined about people littering this site by handing down condescending comments. Look at any froyo OTA news update on the main page. A bunch of the comments after the fact are "I already have FROYO..hahah"

Those of us who ACTUALLY care about those news posts have to filter through that. It is annoying as well.

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
he didnt ask for help, if he did i would have helped him, because thats what i do, that what almost everyone here is here to do. not the op, nope, hes just here to wine.

I thought us "OTA" members had a right to have a voice here too? Isn't that the purpose of a forum? He wasn't trolling, or trying to start rumors.
Is there a site where we can voice our feelings regarding being belittled on Androidcentral.com by it's prominent members (not whining)? If so, please direct me to that site.

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I know you help a dozen people a day, as to why i was surprised to see such a lashing out by you on this thread.

Does this thread/topic belong somewhere else? Yes. But just cause you are a big time member who helps a bunch of folks, doesn't mean you can rip down the OP's statements like that.

The OP voiced something that I fully agree with. He didn't whine about FROYO. He whined about people littering this site by handing down condescending comments. Look at any froyo OTA news update on the main page. A bunch of the comments after the fact are "I already have FROYO..hahah"

Those of us who ACTUALLY care about those news posts have to filter through that. It is annoying as well.

You can't be serious. These guys have nothing but helpful since I started the process of rooting and flashing custom roms. How about you take the time and go through some of the threads and you'll see these guys help people troubleshoot issues for hours. In other forums all you see is "search the forum". That doesn't happen here. These guys all provide helpful links that pretty much hold your hand throughout the entire process.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I thought us "OTA" members had a right to have a voice here too? Isn't that the purpose of a forum? He wasn't trolling, or trying to start rumors.
Is there a site where we can voice our feelings regarding being belittled on Androidcentral.com by it's prominent members (not whining)? If so, please direct me to that site.

You have the right to express your frustrations-but the op made it clear that not only he is annoyed with VZW and Samsung but he is also pissed off with other members suggesting the Rooting/Custom ROMs solutions. And that is uncalled for.

Reactions: Landshark

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
You can't be serious. These guys have nothing but helpful since I started the process of rooting and flashing custom roms. How about you take the time and go through some of the threads and you'll see these guys help people troubleshoot issues for hours. In other forums all you see is "search the forum". That doesn't happen here. These guys all provide helpful links that pretty much hold your hand throughout the entire process.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said "i know you help dozens of people each day"

I know he helps people. In this thread, he wasn't doing so.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Whiners whining about whiners that whine.
Or something like that. :)

The way I see it:

If you really have the itch to upgrade, take the time to learn the steps to put on EB01, or whatever flavor. It will take time and you will need to read, read and read. Once you have done it, you will look back on how easy it really was.

If you want to stick with official releases (and I understand that), then you need to wait. No point in whining to the people here, they can't help with official releases. It will get here when it gets here.

But the people here CAN help you to the path of flashing one of the flavors of unofficial roms. Since the majority audience of this board is going to be people that can help you flash an unofficial rom, and virtually zero people that can confirm with any accuracy when an official rom will release, then when you come here and ask about an official version release, nearly 100% of the replies are going to tell you how to flash an unofficial rom. That is the way it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa