[Coming Soon] - Demon Hunters: Turn Based Dungeon Crawler in XCOM / Baldur's Gate Style

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just want to show a preview of the upcoming RPG / Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games. It will hit Google Play and Amazon before the end of the year. Currently in the fine tuning and testing phases of chapter 1 of what will be a 3 chapter game. The game is a turn-based dungeon crawler similar to Warhammer Quest. However, it also includes cover / line of sight aspects of XCOM. Players form a party of 6 heroes from a choice of 20 character classes and explore underground ruins and face ratmen, demons, undead, goblins and other monsters.

Here are some screen shots to show what the game looks like. The following are the main title screens and team selection screens:

15250500114_9103a28a94.jpg

15253098283_4dd66a3c74.jpg

Here is the player selection screen. Players choose 6 characters for each play through out of a current roster of 20 character classes. Character classes include some interesting classes such as Elven Paladins, Vampires, Minotaurs, Centaurs, Orc Berserkers as well as the usual suspects found in RPG's. Each class has a specific play style and special abilities so a play through with a different party will be a very different experience ... hopefully adding to the game's replay value.

15250501644_1d59b7fb05.jpg

Here's some shots of gameplay. Gameplay is turn-based where players move, attack and perform special abilities with each of their 6 characters. The computer then does the same with its creatures. There is a cover system as well as line of sight so anyone that's played XCOM will be very comfortable with this game. Unit abilities are varied and include things like special attacks, area attacks, buffs, debuffs, special melee attacks, and even some more unusual things like summoning spells, searching an area for treasure, setting traps, teleportation, etc.

15846936226_b6d037da53.jpg

15686988087_410a0b9fd1.jpg

Gameplay is tactical and the AI is smart as it leverages cover and focuses on trying to kill wounded player characters. Combat rules are based on some pretty complex RPG mechanics but all the calculations are done by the system and then just presented to the player as % chance to hit or get a critical hit and so on. Before making an attack on an enemy, this information is presented to the player in a small info box, as shown below:

15685423160_1005d5e124.jpg

Most of the action is from a top down view but players are free to zoom in and pan and rotate the camera using the touch controls. Pinch to zoom, two fingers to rotate the camera and so forth. There is also an XCOM style action cam that zoom in on the action when players or enemy AI performs attacks. Here you can see an example of a zoomed in action cam shot.

15872820225_b765b6c5a1.jpg

We have heavily optimized the game such that it runs on low end hardware. If it detects that the device has only 512MB of RAM, it switches to lower quality textures at run time and disables some special effects. Therefore, It runs really well on even older devices and looks spectacular on newer devices. It's probably best played on a tablet or larger phone since the inventory and shop / vendor screens will be hard to see on a small phone screen but it should still be playable. Works really well on a screen with 4.5" or larger.

Please let me know what you think and if you're interested in the game. If you'd like to follow progress, please check my twitter feed @WaveLightGames

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks.

I hadn't actually considered the whole Christmas thing. I just figured it will be good to release now as the core game is done and just doing polishing and testing. I want to release the first chapter (approx. 25 levels) and get some feedback to improve chapters 2 and 3 rather than release all 3 chapters at once. The subsequent chapters will be free updates though I will likely raise the price as I add each chapter so as to reward early adopters.

LEK CHAN

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
wow, that is serious game right there. Baldur's gate was a real fun game. Burned alot of my nights during college life. haha
Looking forward to your release. All the best.

Minisaur

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
This looks awesome. I'm a great fan of the baldur's gate series and came here to ask if there are roleplaying elements such as dialogue choices, quests, sidequests, etc? Really nice job on the graphics! :)

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, here's today's progress report. I've fixed a few bugs and have finalized the High Elf Archer's abilities and beginning statline and character description. Here's the character's summary from the player select screen:

High Elf Archer by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

High Elf Archer 2 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

She's a dedicated archer and probably the character most focused purely on doing damage at range and avoiding melee combat. She can buff her own shooting skills, shoot powerful elemental arrows (ice, fire, etc.) and even summon a Spirit Wolf companion to tie up her enemies in melee while she continues to shoot at them.

Please let me know what you think.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Here's another preview of the work I did today. I worked on getting the Duelist class ready. She's a melee fighter but not heavily armoured. Instead, she's a bit of a glass razor in that she can dish out a lot of damage but can't really take a lot in return. The Duelist is basically a sell-sword ... a low class fighter that makes a living fighting on behalf of others in honour duels or just fighting in tournaments for prize money. Her abilities are obviously melee-oriented but are focused on stunning or disabling an opponent and dishing out as many attacks as possible. Summary of some of her abilities:

- Stunning Kick: A quick kick to an opponents face ... something they rarely expect. Does a bit of damage but more importantly stuns the opponent for the next round.

- Reckless Charge: The Duelist gains +3 movement and +2 melee attacks for one round. Very useful for getting her into melee quickly and then do a lot of damage when she gets there.

- Run Through: The duelist basically sticks her blade through the opponent in front of her and into anyone behind him as well. A good way to kill two enemies with one strike.

- Double Strike: A quick flurry of attacks ... the duelist attacks a single enemy twice.

- Break Weapon: The duelist makes a wide swing that knocks the swords out of her opponents hands (or otherwise disables their attacks). Does no damage but reduces the effectiveness of the attacks of those hit by it.

- Blinding Powder: The duelist hurls explosive powder at her enemies. All those hit by it are stunned for 3 rounds.

No fancy magic abilities but several dirty tricks and a lot of skills to pump out attacks. A high-level duelist will be able to make more attacks in a single turn than any other opponent except perhaps the Orc Berserker ... however, the Orc Berserker tends to lose focus when it makes a lot of attacks whereas the Duelist does not.

Here's the character screen shots and stats screen as well as a video preview:

DemonHunters 2014-11-30 21-33-37-99 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

DemonHunters 2014-11-30 21-33-42-87 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

Please let me know what you think.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Here's another character preview. This is of the Pyromancer, which is a fire-themed wizard.

Very destructive magic ... no nice healing spells or aura buffs in this guy's repetoire. Just spells that blow things up in various ways. His spells are generally template / area damage and will harm friends and foes.

DemonHunters 2014-12-02 18-28-41-54 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

DemonHunters 2014-12-02 18-28-46-34 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

Quick summary of his spells:

1 - Fireball: A big fireball that does area damage and leaves the affected tiles as burning ... which means that units occupying them continue to suffer damage in later turns. A great spell to flush out enemies who are hiding behind cover.

2 - Incinerate: A cone-shaped fire damage spell.

3 - Fire Sigil: A trap spell that is placed on an empty tile. Anyone that ends their turn on that tile suffers damage as the sigil explodes.

4 - Cloak of Flames: A self-buffing spell that increases the range and damage of the Pyromancers' attacks.

5 - Summon Fire Drake: Summons a nasty fire wyrm onto an empty tile. The fire wyrm is immobile but can spit fire and has a nasty melee attack. It can also cast the Fireball spell itself.

6 - Flames of the Phoenix: A large, cone-shaped damage spell that just does huge amounts of damage. I particularly like the effect of dozens of pheonix' errupting from the Pyromancer's hands.

You can see all the abilities in the attached video:

Let me know what you think. He's one of my favourites. :D

itheleoi

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The graphics is really looking polished. It has good lightning, models, fog and particles. And 20 character classes. That's indeed a lot. It makes me wonder how long this game took in development. Ofc, this depends on your team size too.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've been busy with bug fixing and testing the past couple days so haven't had too much new stuff to show. I'll put up some new stuff soon.

We've been working on the game for just over a year. We saved a lot of time by licensing the use of many of the 3d models rather than build them ourselves.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amy453