Is Smart IR Remote App MALWARE?

0bsrvr

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about getting this and so I put it on my wish list in the play store a couple days ago while I researched more on different IR remote apps and worked up the nerve to spend the $9.99 for Smart IR Remote app. I just went back to the play store again today to check it out and pull the trigger on getting it and now it seems as though the app was pulled from the play store. I know Google will periodically pull apps that turn out to be malware and this app looked like it was something I really wanted and now I'm concerned that it was just a 'trojan' app all along.

Does anyone know anything about this? I really want a good IR Remote app and Smart IR was looking like the best. Any suggestions?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does your phone have an IR blaster? Look in to getting Peel, it's reliable. Usually it comes with your phone when it has built in IR. Sometimes you can also get programs that work through your wifi, BUT you need a smart TV for that.

tekkie2011

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Try ZappIR on Google Play. It works well and the price is reasonable. It works with the Samsung S4 Galaxy and there is another version for HTC One. Make sure your phone has a built in IR blaster.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
It was pretty good, even if a little awkward to setup and change things. I wish it had a learning option like some other apps. I had it for about 3 days and after I reset my phone it was gone. I haven't been able to find any information on why this happened. I am planning to post an issue to Google from my purchase to ask for a refund. I was hoping it would show back up though. I would contact the dev, but all of their apps were removed from Play with no sign of them. I don't want to be sent to some other site to get the app.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app

Bradberg80

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anything about Smart IR, but I've been using ZappIR. At $5, it's a steal. Good tech support too. Their database was missing one of my devices and they added it for me within a day of my request.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Just from a quick search over at XDA all I've found is that Touchsquid accused Smart IR of stealing its code database so Google removed the app. I haven't seen anything on whether or not the claim is true or if the dev of Smart IR has responded. Regardless, I downloaded what I think is the latest version here: http://www.nextwap.net/load/file/12361/Smart_IR_Remote_for_HTC_One_Apk_1.3.2_Premium_Android.html

I haven't had any problems with it and I like the interface infinitely better than every other remote I've seen.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I came to search for it and ask why it doesn't show on Google Play as well.

After trying a downloadable version and seeing that it worked really well with my Samsung TV, Yamaha Home Theater and Nfusion box, I decided to buy it to support the devs but now I guess I will wait until it's up again and meanwhile I will keep using the version I tested.

Other IR remote apps that are on the store have really terrible interfaces. Smart IT Remote has a nice layout and interface. I hope the devs sort the problem out and publish their app again so I can buy it and see what else they have in mind for this app.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I think it was taken down by Google because another company claimed an infringement of their IP. Devs say they are working on getting it back up and running. Hopefully it will be back up soon. Its an awesome app and worth the $10. I bought it before it was taken down. Not only does it have a mammoth database of remote codes, but it also gives you the option of training remotes it doesn't have in its database and the option to create custom remotes.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I was quickly granted a refund on this app when requested through my Play purchases.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app