S4 anti virus

Aussrh420

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a galaxy s4 on verison, it comes with a stock app called vz security and I was wondering if it was a good program for scanning new apps for malware and such or if there is a better one I should download.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I feel that most Verizon preinstalled apps are pretty mediocre. I think the VZW security app uses McAfee software, which is never rated very high in comparisons. I'd recommend disabling that app, and trying other 3rd party apps like Lookout or TrustGo.

There will most likely be people who recommend not using antivirus apps at all, since Android malware is still at the stage where you have to agree to install an infected app in order for it to do damage. But malware does still slip through into the Play Store from time to time, and I feel that it's only a matter of time before malware becomes sneakier and able to cause problems in other ways. So I prefer to stay safe with an app from a company that is known to be on the forefront of mobile security (that would be Lookout for me). Besides, these apps often have nice antitheft and recovery features as well.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
There will most likely be people who recommend not using antivirus apps at all, since Android malware is still at the stage where you have to agree to install an infected app in order for it to do damage. But malware does still slip through into the Play Store from time to time,
To use actual data, "time to time" means about 0.001% of the time (1,200 per million) evade the built in Android defenses. So you'll have to find software that has data showing it's better than 99.999% effective (i.e. they have to have a better and more up to date database of malware than Google) to be an improvement.

Contrary to what you’ve heard, Android is almost impenetrable to malware – Quartz

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I actually use avg's antivirus app. You can setup scheduled scans and it automatically scans apps when you install them

Posted via Android Central App