Question Network Usage Log - Since UI 6.0

MintyCymru

Dec 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi all

I've searched the forum for keywords and drawn a blank, please forgive me if I've missed an obvious post.

I have a Samsung A52, provided to me by the business that I work for, which has two profiles (personal and work). It is the only mobile device I have.

On 25th (yes, Christmas day) I received a Whatsapp call which rang for just one ring then rang off. The international code was +98 (Iran!). To me these seemed to be an obvious scam call so as a precaution, immediately turned the phone off and restarted. I then deleted the event from the Whatsapp log.

Since then I've been making myself paranoid by reading about zero click attacks, the paranoia a little amplified by the device having two system updates since (first was to UI 6.0, then another a few days later).

In an attempt to work out if my device has been compromised I researched zero click attacks and from what I read the best way to work out if there's a problem is to investigate the recent IP connections, so I've followed instructions to enable network usage logging, and the setting I need isn't where it is supposed to be (Security & Privacy / More privacy settings / Android System Intelligence / Network Usage Log).

So, I'm wondering, am I letting paranoia get the better of me here (and the setting was moved during the UI 6.0 update)...or has my device fallen foul of an attacker and the network logging feature has been removed by the malware?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Welcome to AC!
Probably you being more overly cautious , open device care you should be able to see misbehaving apps and such under care report and diagnostic , very hard these days to get hacked unless you download stuff from unknown sources, open links from unknown senders. Your device also comes with Samsung Knox it's security platform.
7ef477f2808afcad6d4063575a949aa8.jpg
df2fc16e70a62a4cbea82bb1f92c628b.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think you need to be worried. A VoIP call that you don't answer can't do anything malicious to your phone. If the system updates were through the phone's system settings menu (and not, for example, through a notification from a website), then they're legit. You can see from this article that the Android 14/One UI 6 update for the A52 5G was officially released just recently: https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-a52-5g-android-14-one-ui-6-update/.

Are you certain the additional update was a Samsung one? Keep in mind that Google Play system updates can also prompt a restart: https://support.google.com/android/answer/7680439?hl=en

MintyCymru

Dec 30, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome.

Both updates appeared as they usually do, the phone itself alerts me to an available update and offers me the option to install now, or schedule for later.

It does sound that I'm being overly cautious, thank you for the reply.

I would however still like to go through the process of checking the network logs, do we know where to find them now?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Probably you being more overly cautious , open device care you should be able to see misbehaving apps and such under care report and diagnostic , very hard these days to get hacked unless you download stuff from unknown sources, open links from unknown senders. Your device also comes with Samsung Knox it's security platform.
7ef477f2808afcad6d4063575a949aa8.jpg
df2fc16e70a62a4cbea82bb1f92c628b.jpg

Solution