Moto 360 v. 2, Huawei Watch or Samsung S2..oh my. Which should I get?

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Moto 360 v. 2, Huawei Watch or Samsung S2...oh my

I put a little money away because I knew I wanted an Android Wear watch coming up. I didn't want the first generation of watches because I knew there were inevitable bugs. The Moto 360 immediately spoke to me, though. A watch is just as much accessory as it is function. I'm no metrosexual, but I currently have a nice Citizen watch I bought about 10 years ago because I liked the way it looked and it did cool things (pictured below). The Moto 360 was a real watch and not a Casio calculator on my wrist.
citizen-sailhawk-watch-1.jpg

So I wanted the Moto 360 version 2. Except...Huawei does everything I want. No flat tire, it uses AMOLED, and it looks like a real watch. The down side seems to be the smaller size (bifocals were a cruel blow), and no wireless charging (I love me some Qi). Still, the Huawei looks like an upgrade from the Moto 360 in most ways.

The Moto 360 v. 2 seems like a worthy competitor as well. I love the wireless charging, the larger display and the larger battery! I also just love Motorola. They're hitting all the right notes on phones and almost everything else. The down side is that flat tire and the lack of refinement which Huawei nailed. The ability to configure is fine, although not a big deal to me. I don't want anything exotic. Silver everything. The price of what I want in a Moto 360 is identical to what I want in the Huawei ($400).

And then Samsung Gear S2. Every tech reviewer loves this thing. I'm loving the turn gesture navigation. It also looks like a decent watch (although I really want a metal band). It looks like the UI is simply superior to anything else out there. Downsides include unknown price (although I feel confident they will undercut both Moto and Huawei), unknown release date, and unknown interoperability with programs not made by Samsung. I hate the Samsung knock-off programs of things done better by Google and other manufacturers ( e.g., I don't want S-Health. I want Google Fit).

Russell Holly has been very helpful, although he seems disappointed with Huawei and leaning more toward the Moto 360. Everyone loves the S2, but for right now it seems like vaporware. My own inclination is the Huawei, but the 360 is a really close contender, and I'd easily be swayed.

So...what should I do? My wants are:

• A nice looking watch that doesn't look like crap (I'm looking at you, LG G Watch/Sony Smart Watch/Apple Watch)
  • Something that will help me keep up with fitness goals (preferably using Google Fit)
  • Last an entire day on a single charge
  • Hold up for at least two years

Advice?

Last edited:

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto 360 v. 2, Huawei Watch or Samsung S2...oh my

I went with the new Moto. Adaptive brightness is a big deal for me. I can't stand having to adjust my G Watch brightness all is the time. I finally resorted to leaving it at max brightness, but as you can imagine, that hurts battery life. On an AMOLED, good luck avoiding screen burn-in.

As for the Gear S2, I'm not going there again after my experience with the original Gear S.

Posted via the Android Central App

BobLad

May 17, 2015
Visit site

I think it's much too early to start comparing watches. There are still several shoes waiting to drop. I'll be waiting probably until November (Moto Sport?) before I set up my comparison spreadsheet. I'm in no huge hurry because I'm very satisfied with the Sony SW3 I have now. The only thing I'm missing is wireless charging. If I were buying right now, it would be the Moto 2, but I just know something better will come out soon after if I do that.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

We need to know how the s2 will actually work when paired to another Android phone before we can compare it properly.

I still prefer the moto 360 and once you own one you will forget all about it. There are also quite a few faces that make it disappear. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Okay, I'm convinced. I canceled the Huawei Watch and ordered the Moto 360 2015. Exactly the same price. I'm excited!

Louiemail64

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

What about the LG WATCH r this is what I'm looking at for my future wear

Posted via the Android Central App

Sahupala

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

I went with the Huawei and no regrets whatsoever ... it's a beautiful piece ...

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I love the S2 physical interface. Too bad it's not running Android Wear.

Does anybody know if the 360v2 or the Huawei watch is actually safe to use when swimming?

I swim for exercise and I would like to get something that will work as a heart rate monitor when I am swimming.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Huawei is not good for swimming. It is rated IP67 which means it can get wet, but not submerged.
IP67 says it can be immersed to 1m for 30 minutes. I would have thought swimming would give nowhere near that level of exposure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
IP67 says it can be immersed to 1m for 30 minutes. I would have thought swimming would give nowhere near that level of exposure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

On page 8 of the QSG that comes with the watch:

Quote:
Water resistance

You can wear your HUAWEI WATCH when you're washing your hands or
in the rain. But wipe it dry if it comes into contact with water.
Do not wear it when washing cars, swimming, diving, scuba diving,
or showering.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

I picked up the Huawei yesterday. I compared it in the store to both sizes of the M360v2.

It's been less than 24 hours, and I do really like the H watch. But, I'm already thinking there's at least a 50% chance I'll return it to Best Buy and order a M360v2. I'm sitting here looking at the battery meter on my watch and the Qi charger that's sitting on my desk, for my phone, and thinking how I wish I had brought the H Watch charger with me to work....

Also, I have also been cursed to start needing reading glasses in the last 2 years. The H watch face size is okay for reading stuff without having to put on my glasses. But, I suspect there will be situations where I'll find that I can't quite make something out, where I would be able to with the slightly bigger M360v2 46mm....

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I picked up the Huawei yesterday. I compared it in the store to both sizes of the M360v2.

It's been less than 24 hours, and I do really like the H watch. But, I'm already thinking there's at least a 50% chance I'll return it to Best Buy and order a M360v2. I'm sitting here looking at the battery meter on my watch and the Qi charger that's sitting on my desk, for my phone, and thinking how I wish I had brought the H Watch charger with me to work....

The battery is really good once you set up the watch properly. I can get more than a day out of it, most of the time. But I charge every night and most of the time it is at 20-30% after 15 hours.
Location services kills the battery. WiFi on also seems to hurt the battery. Weather display on the watch hurts the battery. And some of the watch faces that you can download from the Play Store are rough on the battery.
I have location off, wifi off, always on screen on, tilt to wake on, card previews on, and I use a watch face with a step counter.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

I like to have everything on all the time with my phone and, of course, would like to be able to run my watch the same way.

I have Tilt to Wake on, Wrist gestures on, WiFi on, Always-On Screen on, Card previews on, Cloud sync on, Brightness on 4. My watch face is Modern, which is pretty simple.

I don't see anything in the phone settings or in the Android Wear app about Location Services for the watch.

I've had it off the charger for about 3.5 hours and I'm at 75%. But, it's the first day and I've been playing with it a bunch. That's why I was thinking I might need my charger. That and I'm going straight from work to an event, so I won't get home until late.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

My phone's location services are off, and that is related to the watch too.
I would turn off wifi on your watch and lower brightness to 2 or 3. (You can tap the crown three times to get a temporary max brightness.)
You can check your expected watch battery time by opening Android Wear (on phone)> Gear button> Huawei Watch> Watch Battery

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

My phone's location services are off, and that is related to the watch too.
I would turn off wifi on your watch and lower brightness to 2 or 3. (You can tap the crown three times to get a temporary max brightness.)
You can check your expected watch battery time by opening Android Wear (on phone)> Gear button> Huawei Watch> Watch Battery

Yep. I've been checking it. 7.5 hours now and it says I have 9 hours of battery left. But, I was playing with it a lot earlier today and it said I only had 10 hours left about 3 hours ago. So, obviously, I'm using a LOT less battery this afternoon. I should be good to get through my whole evening, I think.

I gotcha on the Location services. I keep that set on GPS Only on my phone. I found that GPS & WiFi mode really chews the battery (on my phone).

Does the Brightness setting affect it in ambient mode, too? Or only when the screen is "on"?

In semi-related news, I was showing my watch off to co-workers at lunch. We were riding back to the office in my truck and talking about some music things. A co-worker brought up Primus and said that he doesn't really like Primus. I said that I do listen to Primus sometimes and my favorite song is... and then I tapped my watch face, said "Ok, Google. Play Winona's Big Brown Beaver" and waited. It took just long enough that my co-worker started in on me. "I take back all that stuff I said about how cool your watch is. It couldn't even handle that simple request." Of course, he was just teasing me. But then Primus' "Winona's Big Brown Beaver" started playing out of my truck's stereo. SooOOOoo sweet!!! LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch