Bought the Fossil Q Founder.... But do I really need wearable tech?

snsn

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I was able to buy the Q Founder at Macy's , $295 and pushed them for 20% off...and got it!
So I bought it well, and I like the styling of the watch very much.
I had also tried the Huawei but then returned it.
I'm trying real hard to find a good reason to keep the Q Founder, mainly because, as much as I like the idea of a smartwatch,
I'm still trying to decide, what do I need it for?
Do I really need to see these notifications that I can actually read better on my Note 5?
Google Now is nice, but I can do it on my Note 5...
Emails are really not very readable...etc, etc...
Android Wear 5.1.1 got much better...and today they just added docs...
should I keep the Fossil or will there be something more functional down the road...?
Can't really make a decision...

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit, they are not for everyone.

You say you can read stuff better on your phone, but you need to have your phone out and on to read it.

I use my Huawei Watch as a way to not have to pull my phone out all the time. Sitting in meetings when I get a notification I can quickly glance at my watch to see what it is. If it's important I can pull my phone out, if not swipe it away. Same with getting a call.

I'm also a weather junky, so using instaWeather faces gets me a lot of weather info without the need to look at my phone.

I also do a lot of driving. I set my phone up using waze and have it read incoming text messages. If I need to reply a quick swipe of the notification on my watch and I can reply by voice into my watch. Eyes never off the road except for the quick swipe.

I also use Golf Pad GPS, being able to find distances to the green and mark where shots are taken with have to take my phone out is awesome!

I think the reasons are very personal, my reasons aren't for everyone - just for me! My choice is wearable Tech is awesome!

snsn

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You may have just sold me on it!
I'm also a golfer...and was going to buy a wearable rangefinder ...can you explain what ap this would connect with on the Founder Q?
Does it work through Google maps and another golf ap with courses for android wear?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You may have just sold me on it!
I'm also a golfer...and was going to buy a wearable rangefinder ...can you explain what ap this would connect with on the Founder Q?
Does it work through Google maps and another golf ap with courses for android wear?

Here is the app I use and love: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.contorra.golfpad&token=cUMU_QjZ

When you open the app, you select what course you're playing and start. On the phone either it will show you the distance to the green and allows you to select your club and mark that you hit your shot. Then you just keep doing this. There is a map view that shows a Google maps view of the hole along with 100,150 and 200 yard spots along with where you are.

When you start the app on your phone it automagically opens on your Android Wear watch too. You can see all the info directly on your watch without having to take your phone out.

What I love about this app the most is all the stats it keeps. It shows you you average shot for each club (which you can filter by course, by date range, etc.). It also shows your shot distribution (shots the go left, right, or center). I absolutely love it!

I'm an "average" golfer, not great, not horrible (most of the time), but I get a lot of enjoyment out of this app.

snsn

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much...How does the battery on the watch hold up using the GPS for the round?
I'm in NJ and won't be able to try it for some time?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much...How does the battery on the watch hold up using the GPS for the round?
I'm in NJ and won't be able to try it for some time?

It gets all the information from the phone via bluetooth (you need to keep your phone with you -- in a pocket or stuff it in your bag or cart). So it is no more of a resource hog that just checking the time on your watch. Now, since you do not need to keep turning your screen on your phone on and off it's battery doesn't drain as fast as when using it to complete the round of golf.

I know your pain -- I am in Wisconsin and counting the days until I can get out on the course again.....

LongPress

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Even if you don't use half the features....the fact that you can change the watchface at will is worth the price alone.

Posted via the Android Central App

snsn

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi ....quick question...so I downloaded the Golf Pad ap to my phone and saw the ap also was downloaded to my watch,
I went by my course to see what it would look like on my watch...after I open the ap on my phone and start a new rounds, everything comes up fine...but when I open the ap on my phone all I get is a screen that say " start a new round in Golf Pad on your phone"...nothing else loads?
I even entered a few holes on the phone and still get the same message on the watch?
Am I doing something wrong...Thanks!

snsn

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It gets all the information from the phone via bluetooth (you need to keep your phone with you -- in a pocket or stuff it in your bag or cart). So it is no more of a resource hog that just checking the time on your watch. Now, since you do not need to keep turning your screen on your phone on and off it's battery doesn't drain as fast as when using it to complete the round of golf.

I know your pain -- I am in Wisconsin and counting the days until I can get out on the course again.....
Hi ....quick question...so I downloaded the Golf Pad ap to my phone and saw the ap also was downloaded to my watch,
I went by my course to see what it would look like on my watch...after I open the ap on my phone and start a new rounds, everything comes up fine...but when I open the ap on my phone all I get is a screen that say " start a new round in Golf Pad on your phone"...nothing else loads?
I even entered a few holes on the phone and still get the same message on the watch?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Do you have the Android Wear integration enabled? Go to Preferences... Smartwatch Link and make sure Android Wear is checked.

I just double checked on mine, all I have to do is start the app on my phone and it automagically opens it on my watch. No other input required.

snsn

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes thanks, I finally figured this out...but also just learned its a premium feature...you need to pay the $10 to get it?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes thanks, I finally figured this out...but also just learned its a premium feature...you need to pay the $10 to get it?

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that. I paid the premium fee several years ago. Frankly, to me, it is WELL worth it!

There might be other golf apps that interact with Android Wear that don't require a fee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38