web page kills my phone, big hurt of lag

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Distorted Loop. Scrolling appears to be smoother as long as the menu isn't coming into play. As soon as it starts dropping down it is back to lag fest. It almost seems like the disappearing address bar in chrome and your disappearing menu are making a more disjointed experience because one will disappear and then the other and then one reappears and then the other. I was messing around with this and got chrome confused to the point where only Lloyd's legs were sticking out of the notification tray.

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Android Central is now one of the most painful websites on the Web to visit if you're using Chrome on Android..

+1

For a site dedicated to mobile devices, it is actually quite horrible to browse on a mobile device. In fact I won't even try to view the site on my tablet unless I absolutely have to because I'm looking for something and can't get to my PC. I avoid it like the plague. The top header has to go.

*Posted from my PC*

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any polite words to describe how frustrating this long time issue has become. You guys have destroyed the function of the site in exchange for a few useless visual gimmicks that don't enhance the browsing experience at all.

The site is back to being almost unusable if there are any large numbers of comments on an article.

I have to swipe 5-7 times to get the page to scroll. I'd make a video, but the one I posted here weeks ago demonstrates the current situation well enough.

I've started reading that other site with the pink D logo, and there are no problems. It's getting more and more tempting to just stop coming to AC, even after years of it being a pleasant habit.

Sad.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any polite words to describe how frustrating this long time issue has become. You guys have destroyed the function of the site in exchange for a few useless visual gimmicks that don't enhance the browsing experience at all.

The site is back to being almost unusable if there are any large numbers of comments on an article.

I have to swipe 5-7 times to get the page to scroll. I'd make a video, but the one I posted here weeks ago demonstrates the current situation well enough.

I've started reading that other site with the pink D logo, and there are no problems. It's getting more and more tempting to just stop coming to AC, even after years of it being a pleasant habit.

Sad.

A number of fixes and enhancements have been pushed over the previous weeks... and we're always working on it.

Drop me a note direct (my email is below) as I'd like to get more detailed feedback from you if possible. More than happy to help and relate even more detailed problem specs to the team to help fix these nagging issues for you!

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Sad.

I take back what I said about only viewing via PC...it's become just as unbearable on a PC with the reformatting and column constantly shifting, adjusting, etc. And then trying to click on something is about as bad as playing Whack-a-Mole, once again due to everything constantly moving/adjusting until ALL the ads and other garbage has finally loaded.

Ads here, ads there, full-page ads BEHIND the main column. Really?

And that FREAKING top header.

Complete dumpster fire.

Sad is right.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@EngineerGuy - shoot me an email with the details of your system (OS, Browser, etc.)... we need to be able to recreate the issues on our end, or at least get some solid details and screen grabs to fix the problems you're having. If you're having issues with the header we need to know specifics.

Really appreciate the feedback on this... We want the site working perfectly for ALL!!!

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 7, Windows 8.1. Chrome and IE on both.

Samsung 10.1, Samsung 10.1 PRO.

Doesn't matter what is used to view the site. I cannot believe that more aren't seeing the spastic behavior of the website, or they do but find it acceptable for a site this popular.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Windows 7, Windows 8.1. Chrome and IE on both.

Samsung 10.1, Samsung 10.1 PRO.

Doesn't matter what is used to view the site. I cannot believe that more aren't seeing the spastic behavior of the website, or they do but find it acceptable for a site this popular.
Honestly, I think the bulk of the readers who would make noise about this have switched to the AC app. The site behaves in the app.

BillLee3

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually just installed the AC app to navigate around enough to find this post to figure out if this is just me.

I am also using a feed reader on android to find interesting articles, including AC ones, but opening AC articles from the RSS feeder into Chrome on Android can take several minutes before the page loads enough to scroll. This on both a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 using either Chrome or Chrome Beta. Just makes the page useless.

If my RSS reader won't open the links directly in the App I'm just gonna have to drop the AC feed and quit reading your articles.... Please fix this before I have to take this drastic step! 😄

Posted via the Android Central App

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I think you are wasting your time. They live in some backwards world where they seem to want you to use the app to browse the web. I guess that helps lock you in to their content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speculatrix

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
problem hasn't got any better since I first reported it... using Sony Xperia Z Ultra, 4.4.4. Most sites render just fine, but Android Central is just terrible.

You try and scroll but nothing happens. When you click back to close the page, the phone will hang briefly as all the RAM gets freed up, sometimes even GMail will have been killed by the OS to reclaim sufficient memory!!

I read article summaries using rss reader mainly on my phone, sometimes on desktop. Because reading articles on the phone is so painful, I'll generally only ever read the first paragraph of the article, it has to be a really interesting/informative/relevant article to make it worth while, otherwise I'll not bother to click through to the web site and instead just mark as read/deleted.

Sometimes if the article is quite long, I'll simply park the article and if I remember I'll read it on a desktop.

I used to read nearly every article on AC and would have no queue of unread items. I now have a backlog of over 1300 articles!

I chances are I'll simply delete the backlog, life's too short to spend minutes waiting for the page to finish loading so I can scroll beyond the paragraph I got on the RSS feed.

Fortunately there are other sources of android news, so I am not left in the dark: Android Police, Pocketables... not been desperate to try Boy Genius Report. though!!

speculatrix

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
p.s. the page is slow even when I am on wifi at home, which is an uncongested 802.11a/n wifi connection sync'ing at over 100Mb/s, with a 36Mb/s connection to the internet.
There's no point in trying to load the page when I am on 3G (don't have LTE) even when it's getting 4 to 8 Mb/s!

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I also am finding myself reading the AC site less and less because of this. Phil had an open question post last weekend, so I called him out on it. His response didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that they actually care about fixing it.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@All - We care!

We need specifics from you if you're noticing general slowness (or real, REAL bad load times)... what steps do you take to generate the problem? Can you provide screenshots? What sort of device or desktop system are you using? Which browser?

The more info you have the better... and DO feel free to reach out to me direct, my email address is below.

The tech team has pushed a number of updates over the past month, and we're noticing a marked improvement across the board. If you haven't yet, clear your cache and try again... could be that you have old files on your system that are causing some slowness.

Thanks as always for the feedback, and don't be afraid to reach out direct to me via email.

speculatrix

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The forums are slow to load too, but once the page has loaded it's fine.
I've noticed on the regular news pages that the load on my phone is sufficient to even slow down the Swype keyboard!

Like I said, using Sony Xperia Z Ultra, 4.4.4, and Google chrome browser. Wi-Fi connection is uncontested 5GHz syncing at over 100M, and the internet connection is business class fibre to the cabinet giving 36M download speed.

I'm very sure it's not my internet connection or latency because the page continues to cause device to be unresponsive after fully loading.
I can't believe android central haven't been able to replicate it.

chewy11

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I used to visit this site often. Since the summer ... LAG FEST...Google autocomplete does not even suggest your link anymore in the search bar...used to be #1. Load times are awefull. The rest of the web is OK. Save for Mobile Syrup...Since tey married you guys their loading and lagging too.

using Chrome on:
Oneplus One
HTC M8
Nexus 7 (both of em)
Galaxy Nexus
HP Compaq 6710b with Windows 8.1

I now visit other sites.

Google+ comments to this effect brought me here to say this.
Good Luck

speculatrix

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've now subscribed to Android Authority RSS, haven't dropped AC yet as it's got great coverage but is now my secondary news source in case AA miss something.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If Droid Life and AC show up in my RSS feed with similar stories, I will ALWAYS click to Droid Life now because of this. It used to be the other way around. I'm actually considering dropping AC altogether because of it.

And to the AC staff, why do you need our details? Just pick up a phone and visit your own site. You can add the absolute beast of all phones, the Droid Turbo, to the list of phones that can't even view your site without stuttering and freezing. I can't believe you've not noticed it yourself.

I still get unacceptable performance on all of these modern flagship phones, none of which should have issues loading a web page:

Droid Turbo
Droid X 2014
LG G3
Droid Maxx
HTC One
Nexus 5

Sent from my XT1254

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa