Google Maps issue in Landscape only on my phone

Mech333

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Pixel 7 pro - Android 13

A frustrating one. I want to use Google Maps in Landscape. However, on my phone, it looks like this:

Screenshot_20230626-105038.png

Screenshot_20230626-104402.png

As you can see, VERY difficult to navigate as the bottom menu is taking up all the lower area. However, On three other Droid phone from friends they get this:

23879.png
23878.png

All the menus and information boxes are stacked to the left side making it usable in Landscape.

We spent a good hour looking at all the setting with no luck. Not my account as brought up on my Droid tablet and all menus/information on left side.

And help is appreciated to help me with this problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It definitely should not look like that. I just checked my Pixel 7 Pro, and it looks like the screenshot of your friends' phones.

Try clearing the app cache/data for Google Maps in Settings>Apps, then Force Stop it, then open it again.

Also, do you have any screen magnification settings turned on, like in Accessibility?

Mech333

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
B.Diddy,
Thank you for the help.
Tried all the above you suggested. No change.
Nothing in Accessibility changed as well.
Any other ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try uninstalling all updates to Maps and see if the problem persists.

Also, make sure Android System Webview is fully up to date in the Play Store (you can search for it to find it). If it already is, then you can try uninstalling all updates to ASW, since updates to that app can sometimes cause odd glitches (especially if you're on the Beta).

Mech333

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Thank you again. Tried above. Nothing.
Just got off phone with Google/Pixel. Did all the usual stuff until we all agreed to just do a factory reset and be done with it.
Did not work! Still have issues in Google Maps in Landscape! Nuts! Very frustrated as this should have done it. Technical issue with Phone? Waiting to hear back from Google/Pixel....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Comparing your screen with the "normal" screens, it looks like the status bar font sizes are bigger. Did you adjust the DPI in the Developer Options (under "Smallest Width")?

Mech333

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Just an update for all. Talked to Google on phone for a few hours. They are sending me a replacement phone. Wow, all because my Maps does not work in Landscape. Weird. Anyway, if I don't write back, it means the new phone now works for this. Cheers.

• Wow
Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's weird! Just to close the loop, did you check your Developer Options about the Smallest Width setting?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting. First of all I highly doubt that a new phone will change anything. How can hardware cause this? It has to be some setting somewhere with the display! Now then, while mine is not as cramped as the OP's it also does not have all the menu options to the left, but rather across the bottom just like the OP's only I can still see the screen/map just fine!
It has to be a setting with DPI/font/ "something" was changed from the default!

Mech333

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi all.

Never even went into Developers section so never made any changes there.

Not in beta.

Agree, hardware causing this seems odd. To be honest, I am now more curious than wanting to see this fixed. New phone on route and will report when arrives. Trust me, will pull out of box, power up and go straight to Maps in Landscape. Back soon....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was sort of able to duplicate your issue by increasing the Font Size and Display Size in the Settings>Accessibility>Display Size and Text menu. But the layout of the search bar and options bar was still like what you shared from your friends' phones. If you see this again, check that menu.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter