can't sign into google play

A

AC Question

so, i have searched and tried for hours for this stupid problem, and so this is what i have come up with so far, can't sign in with google play, says no reliable connection, so i tried re booting my phone, nothing, i looked at this one forum, and it said to do this:
Assuming that you have already rooted your device, use any file explorer app and go to 'etc' folder of your device. (i used root explorer and did this on my samsung galaxy tab n8000).

In 'etc' folder, locate the file called hosts.

Touch/press and hold the icon of the file to get its context menu and open the file in text editor.

In the file, there will be one ip address to the localhost, i.e. 127.0.0.1. Leave this as it is.

There will be a second ip address which may vary depending upon your region or country. Put a # in front of it. (eg. #245.45.14.14). This will mark this entry as a comment and the device won't read it.

(i would suggest that you backup 'hosts' file before making any changes. In my case, a 'hosts.bak' file was automatically created when i saved the file after editing.)

save the file and reboot your device.

I tried this above, but it wouldnt let me save the hosts file after changing it, any suggestions on how i can fix this??