Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By clemson77on
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Service Killing Battery

By battery is getting killed by Google Play Services this morning. Typically, my battery goes from 100% to around 85% throughout the 10 hours or so I'm at work. This morning, it went from 100% to 83% now in less than 3 hours. Google Play Services has consumed 87% of the usage. Particularly, Checkin Service is the main culprit. I've never noticed this wakelock before and I haven't made any changes in the past week so I don't know what has brought this on. See the attached screenshot. Anybody else experienced this before?Google Play Service Killing Battery-screenshot_2014-07-31-08-02-58.jpg

Default Re: Google Play Service Killing Battery

The check-in services thing is new to me.

Let me see if anyone else can chime in.

Check-in service is new to me as well, but as usual, location services are the main battery drainers. Have you checked your locations settings? Were you using location history before? Maybe auto-checkins in Google+ or other services like Foursquare?

Also, try clearing cache and uninstalling updates to Google Services, reboot, and let them re-update on their own. The last time my phone did that, that was the only thing that helped.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    31,611 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I don't think I have heard it called Check in services, but have you done a reboot to see if it clears?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It may have been the Coupons App that was updated. It was running location services for some reason. I've never had an issue with it, but after I uninstalled it and also rebooted, things turned back to normal. Thanks for the input guys.
    SpookDroid likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well, it's back. A reboot will fix it, but I don't want to do that every time.

Google Play Services is not killing your battery. An app which uses Google Play Services is killing your battery.

Many apps use Google Play Services for all sorts of "help" - this sounds like an app which is asking Google Maps (part of Google Play Services) for location data.