Apps by Google sometimes start on background using RAM

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

After updating to the latest version of Google Play Services, I began to notice that some of the apps by Google (for example, YouTube, Meet, Drive, Maps, which I had not used for a long time) sometimes began to use RAM. It seems to be a little (a couple of tens of kilobytes each), and the battery is not consumed much, but this alerted me, since the traffic still leaves (the same Meet, which, I repeat, I never use, ate about 900 kb of WiFi background data over the last month, according to the phone). I decided to check the list of running services in the developer options - and found that the mentioned apps are launched from time to time, one after another. They don't have any services running, just a "primary active process", and they are the highest listed, appear for a few seconds and go into the cached ones. I know that many applications run in the background to update data, but lately such short-term "flickers" in RAM have become too common, which I did not observe (or maybe did not notice) before. Perhaps this is due to the constantly running Google Play Services, which is looking for updates or something like that? Or is it due to some malicious activity in my Google account? Please help find out! Galaxy A8 device on Android 9.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Even though you may not use those apps for certain period of time they can get ping for location , updates, notifications etc..
Doesn't mean it's malicious., So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here , As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is completely normal. Remember, Android is not like Windows. Android prefers to have RAM at least partially occupied by apps, which allows the system to switch more efficiently between apps depending on the user's usage pattern. On top of that, as mustang7757 explained above, apps will often refresh data. Don't fall into the trap of thinking RAM has to be completely empty all the time for the phone to operate correctly -- using scammy "RAM cleaners" is a sure way to worsen performance and install adware or worse.