Nexus 4 stuck in boot loop - Save photos?

Lobata24

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
my Nexus 4 is stuck in a boot loop since yesterday evening. I found it turned off and assumed it crashed (has done that once or twice before), but after turning it on it's gets stuck on the boot up screen. I've tried restarting it numerous times, left it on the boot screen for hours - nothing.
I can access the recovery mode and according to most things I've found while searching the internet for a solution a "wipe data/factory reset" would hopefully do the trick, but the thing is... I haven't backed up my device in ages. (Stupid, I know.) I'm travelling and took a lot of pictures that I would hate to loose.
Is there any way to save them? I don't care for app data or anything else.
I wouldn't mind rooting it (was thinking about doing that anyway), but I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to Android, haven't done more with it than simply using it. :-\

The phone is not rooted, I don't have developer options or USB debugging enabled and it's running on 4.4.4.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I would sideload twrp, throw a stock rom on it. But when you go to wipe it before flashing, go to wipe/advanced/ and select everything except internal storage. Then flash rom. That way, you won't lose your photos.

Lobata24

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, could you explain that a bit more?
I've looked it up on google and tried to understand it, but every website seems to tell something different and I'm just confused by now...
I have downloaded the twrp file and read the instructions, put the phone into fastboot mode and downloaded the drivers, but what exactly do I do now? Do I just open command prompt window on my computer? And what do I need adb and fastboot for?
Sorry, I've just never done something like this and most websites say that I would have to unlock the bootloader which as far as I understand would wipe my internal storage.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, could you explain that a bit more?
I've looked it up on google and tried to understand it, but every website seems to tell something different and I'm just confused by now...
I have downloaded the twrp file and read the instructions, put the phone into fastboot mode and downloaded the drivers, but what exactly do I do now? Do I just open command prompt window on my computer? And what do I need adb and fastboot for?
Sorry, I've just never done something like this and most websites say that I would have to unlock the bootloader which as far as I understand would wipe my internal storage.
I'm not the best at explaining things, so maybe this link will help Google Nexus 4 - XDA Forum it's the best site in the world for what you need. But, they will get on your case if you ask any questions that are covered by the many guides they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs