Package file is invalid - Error on Play Store

A

AC Question

Hello all,

I need some help. I've been trying to download the Facebook app on my phone for quite some time now, but every time I try I get the Error: Package file is invalid. The app will take up the memory on my phone (22 mb) but it doesn't install. Can anyone provide some help as to why this is happening? It's a really old LG phone (Android 2.2.1) but unfortunately I cannot upgrade at the moment.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It may be that Facebook is no longer supported on your phone. The Facebook app page on Google Play says that the minimum Android version required to run varies with device, so maybe your 2.2.1 (which is really old) makes it unsupportable. You could try sending Facebook an email: android-support@fb.com

Nabil Jave

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello B. Diddy and Thank you for the quick response (I am the OP I decided to make an account to make things easier). I don't think this is the issue, mainly because if an app isn't compatible with my phone I will get a message: "Your device isn't compatible with this version." at the top of the app page and it will remove the download button, but with the Facebook app I don't get the message and it allows me to proceed with the installation. Could it just be a bug? (See attached screenshots)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2.jpg
    Screenshot 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 1.jpg
    Screenshot 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 7
  • Package file is invalid Error.jpg
    Package file is invalid Error.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 7

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's true--but there might still be some incompatibility that the developers haven't figured out yet for your phone.

Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Play Store, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open the Play Store again and try to install Facebook.

Nabil Jave

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Again thank you for the response. Unfortunately that did not rectify the issue. I'm now convinced that it's just because I currently have a extremely old phone, so I will be upgrading shortly (to an LG G3! :)) But anyway thank you for the assistance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez