Bug or feature in Nova (Moto G)

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
When I open my contacts list the phone ringer is silenced. Why is this? I see the "Vibrate Mode Only" symbol on the screen.
If I use the back arrow to exit contact mode, it is no longer silenced. Ok....
However, if I hit Home instead to exit contact mode, the phone remains silenced until I change the volume setting manually. How bizarre is that?

Does this happen on your phone?
Might there be a reason for this?
Can it be changed?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the phone but it does sound abnormal. I guess when you leave via the home button you're not closing the app. Try, if you haven't already, a Cached Data clear. A soft reset is also good. If no go, try wiping the Cache Partition in Recovery Mode.

Posted via Android Central App

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I want to start exploring this. I guess I can presume that there is no reason to silence the phone when I go into my contacts list. I just don't want to spend a lot of time on the problem just to end up hearing "Oh yes, it does this because..."

At least I now enough to watch for the silencing and that an easy temp fix is to hit the volume button a few times.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Okay but we're all happy to give further guidance if you want it.☺

Time to take you up on that one.... I looked around for information about "Cache Partition" but no go, cannot make enough sense out of that one.

What might the collateral effect be if I clear cache data?
It presently reports having 48.18MB.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Here's how to do the Cache Partition wipe on the Moto G....be careful not to accidentally do a Factory Reset which will wipe the whole phone.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94946/p/30,6720,8696

Clearing the Cached Data as far as I know has no ill effects and I do mine with no qualms frequently...say once a week. Cache Partition wipes, perhaps once a month. The latter can take a long time, 5 min or more, on my Nexus 5, so be warned as it may be similar on the Moto G.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Here's how to do the Cache Partition wipe on the Moto G....be careful not to accidentally do a Factory Reset which will wipe the whole phone.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94946/p/30,6720,8696

After I performed the finger calisthenics to do the task, I swear I heard a voice saying "Hey Charlie, we just caught another one..." (-:

OK, so, I went through it but noted no difference. The cache data is still 48MB.
Should that be any different?

I just checked the loss of ring volume, and the phone still silences when I click on my contacts list. This is when using the Nova launcher and I don't think I have ever seen it using the Moto G default launcher.

Maybe I might do it again least the clear didn't work.

It is not much of a hassle now that I am aware of it but wonder about it as a "feature".

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I thought you'd already cleared the data cache. Settings, Storage, Cached Data. I just cleared mine and it dropped from the forties to just over 1mb.
Having said all the above I'm not very confident it will fix your problem but just worth trying.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I thought you'd already cleared the data cache. Settings, Storage, Cached Data. I just cleared mine and it dropped from the forties to just over 1mb.
Having said all the above I'm not very confident it will fix your problem but just worth trying.

It went down to 2M and yes, it did not change the issue with the contact list. Now that I see its pattern and easy work-around it is a bit more tolerable. It is an interesting trait though.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry it hasn't fixed your problem but those remedies may come in useful on future occasions. It may be worth reposting in Motorola forums where other owners may be able to suggest something.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance. Are we talking about the Nova launcher? What's this Ev-contacts?

Moto G from ACF

It may well be my ignorance... The Nova Launcher is the only thing that I have allowed into my phone (to my knowledge). When I did, I immediately saw at least four new icons when I did: Ev-CallLog, Ev-Alarm, Ev-Dialer, and Ev-Contacts. I never questioned the "Ev" part of the icon name. Is it not part of Nova?

The plot thickens....

Now you have me worried. I just started looking up Ev-Dialer and I see all sorts of "Dialer.Ev" warnings as a virus or trojan but see nothing for "Ev-" titles icons in my phone. I do see ElectroVoice though....

If I knew how to take a screen shot, I could show the icons on the screen.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hummm. Never heard of Nova doing that sort of things. I've got the free version anyway, but I can't find anything about this EV thing.
For a screen shot. Press vol down and power

Moto G from ACF

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Even if it magically appeared, I still like it.

Vol Down and Power, shuts down either the volume or power or both.
If I did get a screen shot, would it show up in Picture folder?