Google Translate

A

AC Question

Google translate will not recognize any voice input when in airplane mode on my Samsung cell. Get message "No connection for speech input (E2)".

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Translate requires a web connection. You might be able to try offline use by downloading an offline package. Open Translate, tap Menu>Settings>Data Usage> Download Offline Packages.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In the earlier days of voice commands, you did need to be connected to the web--I recall having to do this on my old Razr Maxx. Not sure now how much it's changed, but voice input for the Translate app might have the same limitation.

herb46

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I read, what appeared to be, authoritative instructions which advised to download the offline pack, switch to airplane mode and proceed to use the program as it is used when online. What I am left with is to find an area where there is no cell phone coverage and see if the speech function will work when I have not technically "shut off" the phone--which is the circumstance I'll be in in Europe with no international calling available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa