Is there a way to temporarily disable a downloaded app in Jelly Bean?

virtuouskate

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I've seen dozens of posts about how to disable preinstalled bloatware, but I can't figure out how to temporarily disable an app I downloaded on purpose. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.2. I've been using Go SMS Pro for text messaging. I just got an Android tablet and downloaded MightyText to forward text messages by syncing my Google account between phone and tablet so I don't have to carry two devices around my house all the time (or keep running to another room to check my phone when it's charging).

The app is great and does what it was designed to do, so I don't want to uninstall it every time I'm not using it. The problem is, since I put it on my phone, the message notifications (LED, sound, vibrate, icon in the status bar) no longer work, even when I tell the app to "unlink my phone." Using the application manager to force it to stop doesn't work; it automatically restarts when I get a new text. Uninstalling it every time I don't want to use it isn't very practical. Is there an easy way to disable it when I'm not using it and re-enable it when I am?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Some apps should have an option to disable (Not the force stop option) it. If it isn't an option, the only way to freeze the app would be with root and an app like Titanium Backup.

virtuouskate

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
It turned out the problem was a cleaner app I'd installed ages ago. I uninstalled that and reset my app defaults and everything is fine now. It's annoying that there's not a way to disable apps you only want to use part-time, though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It turned out the problem was a cleaner app I'd installed ages ago. I uninstalled that and reset my app defaults and everything is fine now. It's annoying that there's not a way to disable apps you only want to use part-time, though.
Yeah, without root it can't be done :-\
Glad you got it working though :)

virtuouskate

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not tech-savvy enough for rooting, so that's not going to happen. I do enough damage with legitimately-installed apps! I still don't know what I did wrong with that cleaner app, but it wasn't doing anything but annoying me, so I was getting rid of it anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38