moto g dropped in water

A

AC Question

i was pushed into a pool and i didn't realize i had my phone in my pocket right away so i didn't get out for about 20 minutes. i put the phone in rice for 24 hours but now that i plug it in i get a steady white light that dims after about five minutes of charging. is my phone dead or is it still salvageable?

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
More than likely it's done. The pool was either chlorinated, or salt water. Neither one is good. The water is not as bad as what is in the water. I've taken circuit boards out and washed them with soap and water, dried them off and reassembled a working device. The additives to the pool water would make it both conductive, and corrosive to your phone. I am assuming the phone was on while you were in the water for 20 minutes, that would be more than enough time to damage it.

If you are comfortable disassembling your phone, you could open it up and let it completely dry out, but I would not hold much hope based on your description. You can also spray down the board and all connectors with an electronics cleaner. You can find it at Fry's or possibly Radio Shack. You can also douse it in anhydrous alcohol. Anhydrous means no water. I've bought that at Fry's too.

If you open it up and clean it with an electronics cleaner or anhydrous alcohol, you can use a soft brush to help remove any sediment left behind by the pool water. Use these products in a well ventilated area, and good luck. Let us know how it turns out.