Kingston SD card class 10 unreliable?

arnestang

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My 64 Gb with a lot of data cannot be read by the phone after several years of service. It cannot be mounted by the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any SD card will fail after a certain number of read-write cycles--they don't last forever. How heavily did you use your card? Also, which phone do you have? Samsung phones are kind of notorious for causing SD problems.

arnestang

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I use note 3 SM-N9005. I think I am medium to heavy user. I have used many phones for many years and nothing like this has happen before. Any idea on SD card normal lifetime?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The SD Association says a typical card should last about 10 years with "normal usage," but (a) that's coming from the industry's website, and (b) they don't really say what "normal usage" is. Others have mentioned increased failure rates after about 5 years. On top of that, counterfeit and defective cards are relatively common these days.

And you're using a Samsung Note 3--from my experience on these forums for the past 2 years, I've seen a loooooooot of posts about SD cards that were messed up by Samsung devices, so it's possible it was an issue with the device rather than the card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress