Android Mobile app, any reason to sync drive or docs app?

A

AC Question

I always had sync on for google drive and docs apps, but I turned them off and when I make an edit on my mobile and the desktop website, the changes still apply to both sources.

It seems each time I open a file I have called "To Do" that it has to load anyways to sync each time I open the app. I don't see a benefit of having sync on for drive or docs as I would for say something like gmail where I need an instant reminder I got an email.

For docs I just open it when I want to access my files, is that correct? Turning sync off would just help my battery right?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do those changes sync up even if your Google Drive app has been open for a while, or does it sync up when you first open Google Drive? It might just be doing an initial sync when you open it, but doesn't sync in the background.

Also, you're talking about the Auto-Sync setting, right? The one in the Quick Settings, or Settings>Data Usage after you tap menu?

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, this was my original post, didnt realize I wasnt logged in. I made an edit on chrome in the browser in google docs to a doc file and added some text. Closed it, then went into my cell shortcut to the same doc. The edit to the browser shows up on the cell just fine (after I tested it and turned off sync).

I am referring to the sync option in the settings and accounts/google settings for the actual google sync option for the account. It just seems like having sync on for google drive/docs/sheets etc isn't needed in the background, because each time you open those apps on mobile, they have to load/sync each time anyways.

Figured turning it off is really no lose since I open my docs I use daily anyway for my to do lists I make.

Perhaps this feature is for when you use a PC installed drive app and not just the browser and mobile app. Not sure.