google voice search not working

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I am using a Note 8.0 with android 4.2.2.
I am having a lot of problems with Voice Search. At times it recognises "Ok Google" other times it ignores the command and I have to tap the grey microphone. Even then it may not respond to my voice. If it does respond it does not always understand what I want or may only register the first couple of words of my request.

Sometimes it will work properly! (But only about 20% of the time)This is a little worrying as it suggests that there isnt any one incorrect setting or any one stop solution.

This problem occurs throughout the apps (Chrome, Google Search,Maps, Voice Search etc) as well as the home screen.
I tried to find the Voice Search app in the Application manager to clear the cache and data but it is not there.

Finally my settings are OK. The language is the English of my region and I have Audio History on.

Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Posted via the Android Central App

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your advice.

I followed instructions and did a hard wipe of the cache partition. I then rebooted. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. The first couple of times after pressing the power button to select Wipe Cache it would indicate an error then the screen would black out.

I did get it work without the error warning but the Voice Search was only about 50% effective. So I tried again and its even worse. I am back in square one again.

Voice does not seem to understand my words, not responding to "OK Google", sometimes printing out the text (or some of it) of my question and then losing interest. What now?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you try testing out your microphone by recording a voice memo or something? Maybe the microphone is the problem. If it's faulty, and perhaps cutting out intermittently, it might make it difficult to do voice searches.

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I recorded brief notes on Keep. These were OK but I could not seem to record anything longer than 5 or 6 seconds. I took the detachable plastic cover (that I bought with the device) off in case it was obstructing the pinhole microphone. Still much the same. At times it works; other times it misinterprets my requests or just gets bored and doesnt respond or closes down.

I even tried it plugging in the earphones/microphone kit I use for music. Still no real difference.Thanks anyway for the help.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you made sure all your apps are updated? Go into Playstore, select the top left arrow to get back to store home. Then press the top left again, abd shrift My Apps. Make sure all are updated. Atl else fails, backup everything, and perform Factory Reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the microphone itself is faulty, or perhaps something with the firmware. You may want to contact Samsung and see what they can do.

SizeStick

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
The best solution I discovered was to locate "google app" in your application manager and select "Uninstall updates" this will ask to reset to factory settings for your google voice. Then go back to the voice display box pressing the white box and run through the setup getting updates as it asks.
Worked on Galaxy S5.

lilmisswampyre

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I am using a Note 8.0 with android 4.2.2.
I am having a lot of problems with Voice Search. At times it recognises "Ok Google" other times it ignores the command and I have to tap the grey microphone. Even then it may not respond to my voice. If it does respond it does not always understand what I want or may only register the first couple of words of my request.

Sometimes it will work properly! (But only about 20% of the time)This is a little worrying as it suggests that there isnt any one incorrect setting or any one stop solution.

This problem occurs throughout the apps (Chrome, Google Search,Maps, Voice Search etc) as well as the home screen.
I tried to find the Voice Search app in the Application manager to clear the cache and data but it is not there.

Finally my settings are OK. The language is the English of my region and I have Audio History on.

Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Have you tried going to google voice search settings and retraining your voice recognition?
Go to Settings>General tab>Google>Search and Now>Voice>Ok Google detection from there tap retrain voice model

Hope this helps
Y.

eezitoremember

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I have Samsung J1 ace. Yesterday it downloaded latest software , and after that my google search wouldnt speak to me, it would bring info on screen as usual. I tried everything , then today I got it. I went Settings > Sounds and notifications > Volume > I found that my notifications sound had gone back to nothing, so slid it across to the rite, and yay, I have it back again. I dont have to hunt my glasses out again. Hope this helps

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo