exchange S5 for G3?

Ashapiro409

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,
I've just made the big switch from apple to android, having purchased a galaxy s5 a few days ago. Although I love the device I'm considering exchanging it for a g3. Now I know this is subject has been beaten into the ground a bit (I've been skimming the forums) but I'm hoping some of you might have some insight for me anyway.
I'm thinking about switching because even after the restocking fee the LG g3 is considerably cheaper than the s5 om verizon . I like the way the phone feels in the hand, it has more screen in a small body, knock on code, calmer colors and I prefer the camera.
I'm hesitant because battery life and viewability in sunlight are important to me (I travel often) and I've read some less than stellar reports about the G3 in these areas. I also think "well, I already have the s5 in hand, maybe I shouldn't bother."
I would really love to hear some input, perhaps some folks who have experience with both or have done an exchange for either.
many thanks!!
Abi

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to a Verizon store and see if you can move their demo G3 (Verizon's demo phones are real working phones) to some sunlight to see what it looks like in the sun. (They're usually pretty good about things like that.)

Battery life accounts are useless - I can run my battery down in 3 or 4 hours, or I can get about 4 days, depending on how I use it. (With most phones, if you stay on a phone call for a few hours, the battery is down way past the point it should have been recharged. The specs are for short phone calls and long rests.) For longest life between new batteries, charge at the 40%-60% point. (See Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries) If you need more time than that, buy a spare battery and some sort of plastic case to keep it in. Or 2 spares. Or 5. You can use the phone until your voice runs out if you have enough spare batteries. (And batteries are cheap these days - you can get one for the S5 for $10 and for the G3 2 plus a charger for $20.)

The big difference, IMO, is that the S5 is locked up tighter than Fort Knox, but LG hasn't fallen for that nonsense yet, so you can do more with the phone, if you want to do things with your phone (ROMs, etc.) If you want to keep the iPhone mentality, use apps you can install from the legitimate sources (Play Store and Appstore in the case of Android), either phone is a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty