Should I wait for 64bit android phone?

swank0609

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
So i was plan to buy galaxy note 4 and i heard that there will be 64bit next year and i start to worry if phones are getting 64 cpu, then apps will change to 64bit.. Then my note 4 wont get along since it's only 32bit...

So my question is if apps are changing from 32 to 64, what happens to 32bit phones? Are they just out of luck or something?

Should I buy note 4? I am going to have for 2year and i will change phone again..so.. In 2 year.. Major change to 64bit smartphone will happen or not?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I would say not to wait ... You're not going to notice a big jump with 64-bit versus 32-bit. It is just like when computers switched to 64-bit .. it takes some time for the software to catch up. It is fine :).

Apptelope

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I say never wait for new technology. If the product satisfies your needs today just go for it. If you are uncertain look into a cheaper option today and then upgrade later. If you can wait maybe you don't need the product at all.

swank0609

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I would say not to wait ... You're not going to notice a big jump with 64-bit versus 32-bit. It is just like when computers switched to 64-bit .. it takes some time for the software to catch up. It is fine :).

My only concern is during 2yr contract , ppl starts to making 64bit apps and just worry that note 4 will be left behind and cant download apps anymore or something like that..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Apps are compiled Java, they're not subject to the bitsize of the CPU. As long as the ROM you're running supports Android apps (and that can now even be a Chrome browser running on a Windows computer), an Android app will run.

What 64 bits will give us is slightly more speed (due to the fact that data is transferred 64 bits at a time instead of 32 bits at a time) and the number of bits supports a memory address up to 16 extabytes or 16X10^[sup]18[/sup] bytes (which, of course, we'll probably never see in a single computer because, due to the speed of light, reaching the physically farthest RAM from the CPU would take so long that the CPU would have to be incredibly slow). But we probably will see phones with 4, 6 or 8 GB of RAM in the not too distant future.

That doesn't mean that an app written to run on a Gingerbread phone won't be able to run on a 64 bit phone. I have plenty of programs I wrote for DOS - running 16 bit CPUs - that still run on 64 bit Windows computers in a 64 bit cmd window. And that's an executable running directly in the CPU. Android apps run on a virtual Java machine, so as long as there's a Java machine for the CPU, and it retains the older APIs (and there's no reason not to - Windows 8.1 still retains all the applicable DOS 1.0 APIs), the app will run.

Look at the amount of internal storage (is it enough for all the apps you want to install? Don't ever depend on running apps from the external SD card) and look at the internal RAM size (which can't be larger than 4GB - the size of the display in a 32 bit machine). I don't think anyone is going to write apps needing more than 3GB of RAM in the next 2, 3 or 4 years. (And even if you're a software junkie, as I am, the Note 4 should be enough phone for you. Without cleaning out all the trash [I have a few email apps, a few launchers, a few browsers, etc., that I haven't uninstalled since I decided on which ones I want to keep] I still have over 7GB of internal app space free.) I think I'll be keeping my Note 3, and running the latest apps on it, for a lot more than 2 years.

swank0609

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for these informations!
my friend just scared me that if I buy note 4 now, then I won't able to download any apps from plaster next year since developers will make apps for 64 bit smartphone and I only have 32 bit on note 4 ..
Well I decided to get note 4 today...And I don't think this 64 bit android phone won't be super popular till maybe 2years from now or so..:)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
since developers will make apps for 64 bit smartphone
After 40 years of writing computer code, I wish I could figure out how to do that with Java or any fully- or partly-interpreted language. The Java virtual machine may come in a 64 bit version, but the apps running on it are running in a Java virtual machine, not a 64 bit computer. (Apps in Android are virtually just data to a program - the program being the Java virtual machine - and data doesn't come in bit sizes.)