How do I use my S4 as a Monitor for a device such as a DVR?

Thierry Brun

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
How to use my S4 as a Monitor for a device such as a DVR.

Hi ppl,

I'm would love to know if I can use my S4 as a monitor for devices that like a Security Surveillance System that has a HDMI output. Rather than going to Buy a solo purpose monitor to view things such as setting up cameras, etc... i would use the S4 with a MHL Adaptor Kit that provides an HDMI socket, add a HDMI cable to plug into the DVR system. So i want to receive video from THAT device. (not like other setups that use a PC.) I figure i would need some software from the app store that would somehow setup the S4 to act as a VIDEO Input.

Is this at all possible??
much thanks
Thierry

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to use my S4 as a Monitor for a device such as a DVR.

microUSB to HDMI is an output, it can't be used as an input. About the only way you could use the S4 as a monitor is to connect the surveillance system to a web server on your home network and use wifi or, if you put the server on the internet, mobile data, to watch it through a web browser.

You can't change an output to an input using an app - the difference between input and output is hardware, and you'd have to make a different motherboard (and probably rewrite the ROM). What you're asking for is like speaking with your ears or hearing with your mouth.

Thierry Brun

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to use my S4 as a Monitor for a device such as a DVR.

ok, i can understand that... but what about this then: (since i can't post a link, search on these keys words):
on the site "android central" search "turn your android monitor your dslr cheap accessory"
Seems the phone is being used as a monitor here. The DSLR is providing the video source.
This DSLR Controller (BETA) by Chainfire certainly looks close to what is needed. Some of it's features is LIVEView on the Phone.. how is that possible then? sounds like there is a way.

I'd even say iDisplay in the App store is close to what is needed too. It manages to send Video to the Phone to make the phone act as another extended monitor to the desktop of the PC. So the idea is there. There definitely seems to be workarounds. So if an extended 'live' desktop is possible, i can't see how what i'm asking to be far off.

Last edited: