How to transfer as much storage as possible to SD card for Galaxy 4?

Rochel Rifkind

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
My device keeps giving me messages about not enough storage even though my SD card has 13 GB free. I used the application manager to move all the storage I could to the SD card. What else can I do

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
- before doing anything below, make sure you have copies of any of your pictures, music, or other important data backed up somewhere off the phone (to your computer or cloud storage) just in case you accidentally delete something

- Make sure all your pictures and music are indeed moved - that means it is located ONLY on the microSD card. It is easy to just copy it over, meaning it still is sitting on your phone storage and a copy of it is on the SD card as well (2 identical files in 2 different places). Ensure that you have the files you want on the microSD card, and then remove those files from the phone's internal storage.
- Some, but not all, apps can be moved to the microSD card as well. Some just won't work, and some will work from the microSD card, but any associated widgets won't work (but the app itself still functions fine)
- If you're still short on space, take a look at your apps and delete some that you don't use often or don't really need.
- once you've done all the above steps, clear your cache: I believe you go to settings>general>storage. From there scroll down until you see cache. Tap it, and it will ask you if you really want to do this (warning box). Just tap yes. Keep an eye on the number that shows how much room the cache is taking up. After a few seconds (30 seconds to a minute) that number will reduce itself - once you see that, reboot your phone.